STRIDA BICYCLE NEEDS A HOME

bgorton

STRIDA BICYCLE NEEDS A HOME

Postby bgorton » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:02 pm

I have a Strida bicycle I want to find a home for as it is a collectors piece. The brand is still in production in Taiwan though a very different product to the one produced in 1987.

The bike was the result of a design project for a master’s degree which went on to be manufactured in the UK. My bike is original, manufactured in Scotland, hard worked, and long unused.

There is no charge for the bike though delivery outside SE Queensland would need to be considered. Can anyone guide me to a museum or collector that may have an interest.

LG

Re: STRIDA BICYCLE NEEDS A HOME

Postby LG » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:22 pm

If you're after donation to a collection in Queensland, you could try Steve Nutt https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.ne ... le/9991274

He's on Facebook etc https://www.facebook.com/NuttysBicycles?mibextid=ZbWKwL
LG = Low Gear

bgorton

Postby bgorton » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Thanks LG

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:34 am

bgorton

Postby bgorton » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:23 pm

Successfully homed in Steve Nutts wonderful collection.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:33 pm

Great news, I'll be keen to visit the collection at some point
LG = Low Gear

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:28 pm

To be honest the best place for a Strida is a museum IMHO. Looks like a great design idea but fails on virtually every riding count.
Back in the day I was looking for a foldup bike for my commute into London from Chelmsford. basically a 2km ride to station - catch train - 3 km ride to work thing. As I had friends in the trade I had the opportunity to try out a Strida, an Airframe and a Brompton for a week each.
The Strida folded like an umbrella, took up a lot of space folded and to be truthful rode really badly. It just wasn't ergonomic and flexed all over the place under power. Just look at it.... The Airframe rode really well unfolded but again, folded awkwardly (bit like a shooting stick with two wheels) and was totally a pain on the crowded train. I'm told these got really flexy as they aged too. :P The Brompton rode well, folded really well and you could sit on it in the guard's van, which is where you often ended up on the crowded East Coast line. My choice by far but the inventor had just switched from small building at his old Kew base to mass production at this point so supply was impossible. Silly prices were being asked for remainder stock and repaired returns. He was so lucky Dahon or Birdy were not around with a decent model at the time or he would have been toast. History has proved he was on to a good thing....
Whatever, the Strida really was a non-cyclists answer to the problem. It looked good, rode badly (stopped worse with the original brake setup) and the folding was clever, quick but not compact. You got left with a very awkward parcel to port around. I've been told that later versions got better on the flexing/stopping areas but the basic design enforces the bad ergonomics.

Richard

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:47 am

Kemrek wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:17 pm
I'm new to the forum and don't know how to look at the image you attached. Please tell me how to do it.
nor could anyone, so that is why I found the image, applied the correct formatting to it, and reproduced it above.
Welcome to the Retro Forum

bgorton

Postby bgorton » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:25 pm

A very late catch-up to Wyvern. The Strida wasn't a great bike to ride but it was perfect for my daily commute from the car park to my office. Out of the boot, ready to ride in a millisecond, and after a couple of kilometres on the flat into the lift at work. Understandable about taking public transport though the instant fold/unfold had it over other folders.

Interestingly many years after my Strida was at rest unused in the garage a colleague in Taiwan grabbed a Strida production sample with gears and rode it 2+ km to work, uphill, every day.... and home down hill, at modest speed I guess, at night.

Before my Strida went off to Steve Nutt's collection I cleaned it, pumped up the 30 year old tyres and went for a ride. You are right Wyvern, not the best though it was the perfect commuter bike in the city in it's day.