Re-applying carbon paste to seat post

gavin_rider

Re-applying carbon paste to seat post

Postby gavin_rider » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:09 am

When I first assembled my carbon framed bike, I followed the manufacturers instructions and applied carbon paste to my carbon seat post. A few years later, I now need to remove my carbon seat post from my carbon frame for travel. When I put the post back into the fame, do I need to reapply the carbon paste?

open roader

Re: Re-applying carbon paste to seat post

Postby open roader » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:27 am

Yes is best.

You could simply whip it out and back in given residual paste on post and in the frame but......

Better to clean the seatpost and seat tube inside as much as you can and re-apply some some carbon paste.

I did this when I took a bike to NZ - knifed off a wad of carbon paste into a sealed lid container and packed with the bike. Worked a treat.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:59 am

Sound feedback... +1
Cycling is in my BNA

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:52 am

Soy sauce 'fish' are great containers for small amounts of liquids. Even thick ones. I haven't tried grease yet, but I have put it into a syringe before by letting it soften in the sun first. My saddle bags usually have chain lube fish.

I might try putting some grease and carbon paste in a couple for this weekend, when I'm travelling with a number of bikes.

Cheers,

Cameron

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:19 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:52 am
Soy sauce 'fish' are great containers for small amounts of liquids. Even thick ones. I haven't tried grease yet, but I have put it into a syringe before by letting it soften in the sun first. My saddle bags usually have chain lube fish.
Great idea - I've never liked the amount of waste involved in soy sauce fish, so being able to reuse a few of them is good. Just the right amount to give my son to lube his chain without excess. THanks
Anything you can do, I can do slower

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:03 pm

I was watching an interview with a guy from Silca, who it seems first sold carbon assembly paste. He said they needed something to help hold things together and just used a spoon of grease with added grit from their sand blaster cabinet.

One day they will ask this question on Hard Quiz and you'll know the answer. :)