Is Avanti going upmarket?

stevenaaus

Re: Is Avanti going upmarket?

Postby stevenaaus » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:24 pm

Snap, now my commuter
Laugh. I've got a couple of old high-end alloy/carbon-stay bikes, and there's really not that much between them and a Canyon or BMC etc Imho.

I'd like to make up my Corsa, but there's no way i'd get my money back even.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:05 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:24 pm
Snap, now my commuter
Laugh. I've got a couple of old high-end alloy/carbon-stay bikes, and there's really not that much between them and a Canyon or BMC etc Imho.

I'd like to make up my Corsa, but there's no way i'd get my money back even.
Canyon still has pretty sharp prices. I was in a Trek store recently and had a look at the latest Madone SLR 9 AXS Gen 7 - $19,000! Same spec as my S5 (SRAM Red AXS) but way more costly. Lovely bike but wow... Too expensive.

The Canyons I've ridden (my own CF Evo) and one of the Mavic bikes (Aeroad CF SLX) have all been trouble free. I imagine the Aeroad probably had some very hard riding by various pro riders before I got it - but it was totally sweet running.

Prices can't possibly keep going at the way they are.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:44 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:01 am
Well, my thread hijack continues ;) Lots of admiration for Avanti bicycles. Nice to see them everywhere on my NZ trip.

I picked up an old alloy/carbon Team Corsa Carbonio. It's stripped and hanging on my wall now... Just has some localised surface oxidisation, and a nasty-looking clear coat crack in the top of the seat stays. But lovely alloy tubing - awesome shapes - and these full carbon forks are expensive on ebay.

Hmm - i had advanced plans to make this frame into a cheap 8 speed, but on the tear down the fork is just too good to put on a cheapie. Fork is full carbon , 370grams :) Mostly bare frame is 1.27kg... The down tube is lovely and thin, but seat tube is a bit beefy.

Geez - it's a standard 1-1/8 steerer so i could put on my only spare fork... but it's white, and will look a bit nasty. Hmmm....