Re: Thoughts on modern mass produced 650B randonneurs

Postby Imwit » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:03 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:47 pm
Imwit wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:42 pm
WyvernRH wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:30 pm
I've recently acquired an early 1950's MotoConfort randonneur frameset. Unsurprisingly the canti bosses are set up for 650B rims.
How are you going with the other bits required?
I bought a 50’s French velo de ville frame a few years ago. It hasn’t been a priority (the frame is still at my cousins in the Blue Mountains) but finding the appropriate parts locally seems rare and French postage is pretty pricey.
Thanks all for the suggestions!
Well, Thoglette has helped me out with rims and I think I've accumulated most of the other 'French' parts from wrecked Peugeots over the years except ...the chain guard... which is pretty important as the frame has three braze-ons to support one (like it has for everything else, never seen a bike from the period with so many braze-on fittings!) I think I will have to bite the bullet and get one in from Europe as it looks like it was one of the 'short' fancy alloy types - not common here in Oz. However if anybody does know of one locally I would be interested. On first twiddle the bottom bracket feels OK which is fortunate as I believe MotoConforts of this time used Swiss threading.

Also, any suggestions as to reference sources or parts much appreciated. I'm finding less about MotoConfort bicycles from this period than I expected on the Web - mostly seems to be the later 60's 70's stuff.

Here are a couple of pics of the frame as purchased. I'll do a proper thread on it when I do the resto - which might be a while yet as I have another project in hand at the moment. The paint is tatty - very much so in places - but I will be keeping it.

Richard
Have you got around to this project Richard?

I picked up a few bits for my bike when I was in Paris last year but I’m still short a derailleur and brakes. Kind of important bits.

WyvernRH

Re: Thoughts on modern mass produced 650B randonneurs

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:43 pm

Imwit wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:03 pm
WyvernRH wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:47 pm
Imwit wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:42 pm

How are you going with the other bits required?
I bought a 50’s French velo de ville frame a few years ago. It hasn’t been a priority (the frame is still at my cousins in the Blue Mountains) but finding the appropriate parts locally seems rare and French postage is pretty pricey.
Thanks all for the suggestions!
Well, Thoglette has helped me out with rims and I think I've accumulated most of the other 'French' parts from wrecked Peugeots over the years except ...the chain guard... which is pretty important as the frame has three braze-ons to support one (like it has for everything else, never seen a bike from the period with so many braze-on fittings!) I think I will have to bite the bullet and get one in from Europe as it looks like it was one of the 'short' fancy alloy types - not common here in Oz. However if anybody does know of one locally I would be interested. On first twiddle the bottom bracket feels OK which is fortunate as I believe MotoConforts of this time used Swiss threading.

Also, any suggestions as to reference sources or parts much appreciated. I'm finding less about MotoConfort bicycles from this period than I expected on the Web - mostly seems to be the later 60's 70's stuff.

Here are a couple of pics of the frame as purchased. I'll do a proper thread on it when I do the resto - which might be a while yet as I have another project in hand at the moment. The paint is tatty - very much so in places - but I will be keeping it.

Richard
Have you got around to this project Richard?

I picked up a few bits for my bike when I was in Paris last year but I’m still short a derailleur and brakes. Kind of important bits.
Not yet, this one is still in the queue. I have most of the bits except the chainset. I am on the lookout for a MotoConfort chainset/chainring but I think I'm going to have to settle for an old looking generic steel cottered setup in the end.
Once all the fuss and bother of retiring has blown over and I can get a good run-up at it this will be a high priority!

Richard