2012 BMC Teammachine

stevenaaus

2012 BMC Teammachine

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:14 pm

Picked up an old race machine. Cadel's Tour winning frame i think :) It rides nice, has funny flared Zipp bars, Fizik Antares saddle, Supacaz tape and a Duraace mid-compact BB - all of which are new for me. (I'm always on the lookout for these old top notch bikes. Super stiff bikes wear my legs down when i'm climbing out of the sadlle somehow).

But i have to whinge about all the work my new "excellent condition" f***book bike needs. Cracked stickers, sun worn carbon, C24s wear-marks almost gone, front wheel buckle, tyres dead/cracked with age, missing FD-R8000 striker plate, and the chain's too long.

Now for the big ones. Admiring the nice supacaz bartape, i realised i'm going to have to rip it up as the brake cables are connected back to front :evil: . The big 52t durace chainring is pretty gone - worn and chipped - but still rides ok. And the seat post has crush damage (not at my height though) and was assembled with grease :!: . Had to stop in the middle of my first ride and wipe it clean with my hanky as it was slowly slipping.

Like the seller said , most excellent. At least i got some decent money off the already reasonable asking price.

2wheels_mond

Re: 2012 BMC Teammachine

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:11 pm

How much did you end up picking it up for? Demand for that era of bike is dropping rapidly - means there's some great deals to be had second hand (subject to the kind of things you noted there!)

I'd use the wheel wear as a decent excuse to go and buy some nice new carbon ones.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:19 pm

Normally i don't, but had I a big haggle with this one $1250.

It must have been one of the first bikes with dropped seat stays ??
Even without the BMC logo, it’d be easy to identify this frame....
Cadel Evans (BMC) runs his brakes UK/Aussie-style
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro- ... hine-slr01
EDIT - mine has externally routed cables.
Last edited by stevenaaus on Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:22 pm

Is that the frame where the chain stay cracked and almost cost Cadel the TdF? I recall the rear wheel jammed, they changed the rear wheel and same problem, then changed bikes.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:56 pm

Well, you made me check for cracks :). Looks ok, and no funny creaks.

Except i have some huge clunks under power, so bit the bullet and forked out for a new DA 9000 chainring :( from Amazon.
Gave the nearly-gone rims a 1200 sandpaper and pulled a few chunks of metal out of the brake pads, and redished the freaking rear wheel a little as the new "28mm" GP5000s are a bit close to one chainstay. Big ride today 90km/1300m. It's a lovely ride.

Those Zipp Service bars are such a short reach, i can't quite stretch out as much as I'd like, but spending lots of time on the comfortable drops, so am just leaving the stem as-is for the while. Found a loose plate retaining screw in the left shifter now. That's why that plate was all over the place.