Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

jasonc

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:56 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:43 am
vbplease wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:13 am
Very sketchy conditions on mt Nebo this morning.. there’re roadworks with the two lanes cut down to one with lights moderating the traffic.. the problem is the lights are out and the one lane is literally the width of a small car. It’s on a blind corner and the hill is full of f*%wit motorbikes/sports cars doing 80kph when the conditions demand <40kph..

I called the number on a sign to get it fixed and they’re still working on it.. I really hope they’ve got lolleypop people with radios till it’s fixed, otherwise I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a serious “accident”

Otherwise beautiful morning on my favourite ride :D
I did my first Nebo for two years yesterday - was planning on doing a Gap Creek 'Mondo' but it was such a nice day I just kept on going past that turnoff.

I agree entirely - way too many motorcyclists trying to involve me in their suicide pact. Hitting the corners on full lean at 80km/hr+ while passing the cyclist uphill. Having said that the two nearest passes I had both involved idiots in SUVs leaving all of 20cm while they trundled along at well under the limit.

Was hoping to beat my PB to Jolly's of 41:00 but it had been so long since I'd done it I'd done that segment so didn't have live timing. 41:54/256W was ok I guess. Wish I'd packed some food though - I was absolutely shattered by the time I got home after 3 hours of 82km/1831m.

Would love to get it under 40:00 one day. It's not a climb that really suits me - being a series of short 400W+ ramps with quick descents.
https://www.strava.com/activities/95405 ... m=referral

this ride will make you feel better. he's 15 years old. write his name down. he's going places.

Mr Purple

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:12 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:56 am
https://www.strava.com/activities/95405 ... m=referral

this ride will make you feel better. he's 15 years old. write his name down. he's going places.
I saw that time and didn't recognise the name, thanks. Very impressive, certainly even more so at that age. He's in the 75 to 84kg range so a very strong rider. Also looks solo which is even more impressive.

The guy that holds the KOM on that segment actually lives in my street - 62kg 19yo who rides for team Bridgelane in Europe. Looks like that KOM is a group effort though - get enough strong climbers and you could all take turns at the ramps and cut a fair bit off the time. Not that it makes it any less impressive!

I'm 533rd overall, I harbour no illusions on that one. I'd be happy to beat a guy I work with who's done a 40:01 though.