2018 Cycling Fatalities

warthog1

Re: 2018 Cycling Fatalities

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:40 am

It appears a person's ability to drive is valued more highly that the lives of other road users.
Just look at the number of dottery old people who cant turn their head, have poor eyesight and failing cognitive and physical abilities who still wobble around on the roads. You'll see them pulling into the disabled spaces at the local shopping centre.
There needs to be a far more rigorous requirement to keep getting a licence as we age.
I don't see it happening anytime soon.
On top of that the ever increasing amount of device distraction amongst drivers.
I am now very selective of where and when I ride on the road.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:28 pm

Having a drivers licence is a right, not a privilege.

:|

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:18 am

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:40 am
It appears a person's ability to drive is valued more highly that the lives of other road users.
Just look at the number of dottery old people who cant turn their head, have poor eyesight and failing cognitive and physical abilities who still wobble around on the roads. You'll see them pulling into the disabled spaces at the local shopping centre.
There needs to be a far more rigorous requirement to keep getting a licence as we age.
I don't see it happening anytime soon.
On top of that the ever increasing amount of device distraction amongst drivers.
I am now very selective of where and when I ride on the road.

Yes I had a dear old duck turn across me on a wet 70kmh stretch of road recently, it wasn't raining and I had my headlights on, she just decided to drive across (at very slow old lady speed) and made me slam the brakes on. I'm glad I wasn't being tailgated at the time.

Age will catch up to us all, we just have to be realistic about it when the time comes. Giving up mobility and independence obviously won't be an easy thing to accept, but I hope I will also consider the risk to others when my time comes.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!