Navigating Perth bike routes

Retrobyte

Navigating Perth bike routes

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:22 am

I am visiting the outlaws in Perth for 2 weeks over Christmas and although I've been to Perth many times, I've never ridden there before. This time I am renting a roadie from VelocityRides and am planning to ride most mornings (before the Fremantle Doctor comes in). I've looked at some maps and Strava routes, and combined with my basic knowledge of Perth from driving around it a lot I have some ideas for a few rides.

My question is – are there signs around the place that indicate common bike routes for various destinations like the blue and white bike route signs that they have around Sydney? I'm wondering whether it's all very intuitive and finding a link from a bike lane on the road to a cycle path and vice versa won't be too tricky without carrying a map or looking at my phone all the time. I'm taking my Wahoo Bolt so could always preload some routes, but I'd rather be riding and enjoying the weather and time away from the inlaws than being glued to the screen all ride.

Thanks in advance

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Navigating Perth bike routes

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:15 pm

I guess it depends on what routes you riding. Scenic river routes like that in South Perth has such detailed signage but on the commute run from south of the river along the freeway all you get are occasional signs and arrows saying "12km to Perth".

Nothing beats google maps on a phone with bike or ped settings. Make sure you have it and be familiar with it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:15 pm
Nothing beats google maps on a phone with bike or ped settings. Make sure you have it and be familiar with it.
Them’s fight’n words :-)
I’m a big fan of the DoT bike maps. particularly the “comprehensive” ones.

More to the point the old “principle bike routes” which are mostly on road are very poorly marked. These are only shown in the DoT maps.

As Colin says it’s a bit patchy but if you’re after sporting rides ( like the various round the rivers) then Strava and other online resources (eg Perth audax) will show these.

Ps you’re able to use footpaths to join routes together but you need treat them appropriately
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks guys, great info!

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:10 am

All in vain, thanks to Mark McGowan's knee jerk reaction to the new covid cluster in a specific area of Sydney. We live 30kms from there yet everyone in NSW is now required to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in WA. So no Christmas in Perth for us this year.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:52 am

Thoglette wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 pm

I’m a big fan of the DoT bike maps. particularly the “comprehensive” ones.
Those maps are terrific - so much better than any maps we have in Sydney. And the various dedicated bike lanes and paths seem connected, unlike Sydney where they are sparse and not well planned.

Unless the new Covid wave leads to another border closure this Xmas we're coming over and I'll hire a bike and do some exploring!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:44 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:52 am
Unless the new Covid wave leads to another border closure this Xmas we're coming over and I'll hire a bike and do some exploring!
Certainly worth doing. As a general rule, the newer the PSP the better. The ones hard against a freeway or rail line are (mostly) suitable for fast riding, those hard on the coast generally aren't. But they're a lovely ride, if chockers with walkers on weekends.

E.g. to travel to Fremantle from Scarborough one would use the railway PSP. But for "a gentle ride" one would use the coastal path (for a "bunch ride" along the coast, its a bit more complicated: using a mix of roads (Cottesloe beach front), on road bike lanes (Leighton to Cott) and path (Freo bridge to Leighton at rush hour)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:56 pm

Did the river loop today but didn't notice any bubblers or taps on the PSP - what's the secret to topping up water bottles near Perth shared paths in this hot weather?

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:36 am

Water options are not clearly marked unfortunately, so you pretty much need to know where to look.

There’s water at the Raffles, near the toilets on the south side of the Narrows and same for Mt Henry Bridge, on the bike path through Tompkins Park (again near the toilet) plus a toilet block between the two Freo bridges and the Point Walter reserve. These are all south of the river, I’m sure there are others, there’d definitely be one around Matilda Bay.

The watch out is going south down the freeway, as they’re removed an old water stop around Cockburn. So unless you get off the path and go to a servo, there’s no water between the Mount Henry Bridge and the BP truckstop. Maybe someone else knows of one I’m missing???

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:25 pm

This could be helpful. It seems pretty accurate around my usual haunts but I don't know how up-to-date it is elsewhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl ... e4okzij4ao

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:30 pm

billy70 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:36 am
The watch out is going south down the freeway, as they’re removed an old water stop around Cockburn. So unless you get off the path and go to a servo, there’s no water between the Mount Henry Bridge and the BP truckstop. Maybe someone else knows of one I’m missing???
There is water (and toilets) in the train stations and seeing they are right on the PSP, you have Bullcreek, Murdoch, Cockburn Central and Aubin Grove Stations.
Kwinana station is an option but it is off the PSP and it is easier to turn off at Thomas Road, turn west on the path and get to the servo 50m away.
BP truckstop Baldivis is next, then the Cemetery in Parklands 20km further south, just get off the PSP onto Stock Road which runs parallel, through the front gate, toilet block with water 20m on left (filled two bottles there today)

owly

Postby owly » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:01 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:56 pm
Did the river loop today but didn't notice any bubblers or taps on the PSP - what's the secret to topping up water bottles near Perth shared paths in this hot weather?

Servos or parks beside/not far from, if you mean the northern-run PSP from Freo to city.

Otherwise a full-length river-hugging river loop will see you pass plenty of taps in parks etc.
I find those much more scenic and interesting. Bonus: minimal roadies about :D
MUFC :twisted:

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:33 am

Thanks all! Will just need to keep my eyes open. Am having fun exploring so far

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:13 pm

billy70 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:36 am
So unless you get off the path and go to a servo, there’s no water between the Mount Henry Bridge and the BP truckstop. Maybe someone else knows of one I’m missing???
The free standing tap on the path from the PSP down to Bolderwood Reserve in South Lake is still in place and working. It’s no more than 20m or so off the PSP.
It’s the path that branches off the PSP immediately after you cross the railway line (heading south).

It’s just a single pushbutton type drinking fountain about 60cm high in the middle of nowhere off the side of the path. Seemingly belonging to no-one. Usually a dog bowl under it.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:11 am

Water bottles are for beginners....
anything over 30kms, i have decided to use an industrial hi viz, 3 littre camelbak,
Not Cool, sexy or in vogue, but i never run out
and my road riding freind is forever refilling 500ml water bottles, because he refuses to use the bigger ones....
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:04 pm

Oh, for the complete Perth bike experience have a day trip to Rotto. Leave the carbon racer at home as it’s the epicentre of utility cycling.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:19 am

Thanks @nickobec and @scirocco - I had no idea! :D

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:57 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:04 pm
Oh, for the complete Perth bike experience have a day trip to Rotto. Leave the carbon racer at home as it’s the epicentre of utility cycling.
Went to Rotto yesterday for the day but didn't do any riding - just used the hop on hop off bus to check out a few beaches. Of course there were lots of people riding rental bikes and some who brought their own across on the ferry - only saw 3 or 4 drop bar bikes among the many hundreds of bikes there on the day. Quite hilly in places which I could see brought a few unsuspecting tourists undone. Would definitely be a nice ride on a quieter day.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:32 pm

I ended up getting in 5 rides in the week and really enjoyed riding here. Drivers are far more aware of cyclists than they are in Sydney. Kudos to Vince from VelocityRides who set up, delivered and picked up my rental bike - I was expecting a Cervelo but was given a Cipollini Bond, and it was terrific to ride. Back to crazy Sydney traffic tomorrow!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:57 pm
Thoglette wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:04 pm
Went to Rotto yesterday for the day but didn't do any riding - just used the hop on hop off bus to check out a few beaches. Of course there were lots of people riding rental bikes and some who brought their own across on the ferry - only saw 3 or 4 drop bar bikes among the many hundreds of bikes there on the day. Quite hilly in places which I could see brought a few unsuspecting tourists undone. Would definitely be a nice ride on a quieter day.

Yeah not much of Rotto is flat, and if you head out to West End you're generally punching into a headwind. We went there every year when my kids were little, I spent a lot of time leaning over pushing kids up inclines :D The first time they each made it up the windmill climb without any assistance was a big personal achievement for them :) Especially as they both passed adults pushing their bikes up along the way :mrgreen:

I'd be interested to try one of those rental bikes and see just how good or bad the gearing is considering the undulating nature of the island.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!