Stretch and strength videos - suggestions?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
familyguy

Stretch and strength videos - suggestions?

Postby familyguy » Mon May 16, 2022 10:57 am

A combination of a lack of riding over the last year, ageing, working and a bit of laziness has seen my core strength and flexibility suffer to a point it needs a kick start. While I've always had good leg strength, my upper body has only ever been what might be classed as adequate. My stamina/cardio is generally quite good due to riding for years, but even that is starting to fade due to the wet summer. I can walk but running is a solid 'ehhhhh' owing to previous sports.

In looking at the multitudes of online videos/guides/notes/workouts, the inevitable confusion has set in.

To that end, I'm looking at what people have actually used by way of:
General flexibility/stretching
Core strength
Upper body/back
Lower body (hips and below)

Preferences are for things that I can do at home, indoor or out, using free weights or resistance bands.

These need not be cycling-specific. I'm past that point of working out for a specific sport (I gave that up when I stopped playing basketball 15 years ago!)

Jim

g-boaf

Re: Stretch and strength videos - suggestions?

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 16, 2022 11:02 am

British Cycling had some great videos online:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... cyclists-0

The used to have more but one of the other videos fell victim to a music copyright claim. :!:

I'm doing strength exercises at the moment for my leg and hip, but I suspect these would below your level because I'm starting from the level of someone who cannot even walk.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue May 17, 2022 10:53 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:02 am
British Cycling had some great videos online:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... cyclists-0

The used to have more but one of the other videos fell victim to a music copyright claim. :!:

I'm doing strength exercises at the moment for my leg and hip, but I suspect these would below your level because I'm starting from the level of someone who cannot even walk.
Cheers, I will give that a sniff later. I know GCN have some off-bike conditioning videos too.

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu May 19, 2022 7:00 pm

Try Chase Mountains on YouTube.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 19, 2022 9:59 pm

Best strength exercises are compound movements, rather than the isolation exercises bodybuilders favour. I basically stick to the weights routine laid out in Joe Friel's Training Bible books, and for core strength a routine devised by my physio.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Fri May 20, 2022 8:39 am

For simple ease of use and all round strength and core, i find the trx system of utilising your body weight excellent.
I began when the gyms shut down and i am still using it, most of the exercises work the coe simultaneously.
There are lots of videos for each body part/group

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri May 20, 2022 2:03 pm

If I had capability to fit anything and space around doors, etc, I would certainly give the TRX a go. I will have a dig around for Joe Friel and Chase Mountains and see what turns up. I may have to bite the bullet and actually join a gym at some stage to get more equipment!

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Fri May 20, 2022 6:59 pm

No room for a trx, are you a horder ,🤣

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri May 20, 2022 10:53 pm

No, but the 3 doors in here have less than 1000mm width x 1500mm length usable space in front of them. That's my problem.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 am

familyguy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:53 pm
No, but the 3 doors in here have less than 1000mm width x 1500mm length usable space in front of them. That's my problem.

:roll: Pfffft, take the bloody things off then. :idea: :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat May 21, 2022 8:23 am

Fixing to ceilings or using doors isn't an option with plan layout and building type.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:31 pm

Dylan Johnson is a cycling coach and high level long distance gravel/offroad rider:

Latest video:

Original video:

I've got to get back into the gym post-COVID. It definitely helped me feel stronger on the bike when I was doing these weight sessions.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:34 pm

Chris Froome recently posted a workout video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQgJGX5ukKA

Grog

Postby Grog » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:15 pm

Subbed to Sufferfest for a few years now (now part of Wahoo), primarily for the bike training plans and the yoga routines. Their strength stuff, not so much.
Been mostly happy with the bike and yoga stuff.

Bonus is their yoga stuff does NOT involve young lasses looking contemplatingly over some ocean scene whilst dressed in flowing white outfits….

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:20 am

How are you going with this familyguy?
I’ve been doing the yoga for cyclists from Yoga with Adrienne YouTube channel. There are heaps of other videos up there including core specific stuff. Pretty straightforward style.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:56 am

Imwit wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:20 am
How are you going with this familyguy?
I’ve been doing the yoga for cyclists from Yoga with Adrienne YouTube channel. There are heaps of other videos up there including core specific stuff. Pretty straightforward style.
Thanks for that link, will give it a go one evening soon. Seems like a good combo. I am trying a few things when I can. Some of the Chase Mountains stuff seems good, I will return to a couple and try them again. Someone in the street threw out a pair of barely marked dumbbell bars with 5kg and 8kg weight combo sets in the recent clean up, so I've absorbed that for shoulder and arm stuff. The stretching is probably more of a focus now.

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:35 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0pHTvquoYl4

On Day 2 of this 30 day yoga challenge for strength and flexibility. Recommended by friends who know yoga. It’s a bit more strenuous then the yoga for cyclists.