Anyone recently bought a new single speed bike with reasonable build quality, please share

the100rub

Anyone recently bought a new single speed bike with reasonable build quality, please share

Postby the100rub » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 pm

I am in the market for the single speed or 3 speed as a beginner for short commute and sometime to tag child trailer along.

Intention is to buy and use much can on weekends for the purpose above, with headache on fixing parts now and then.

Wondering if anyone recently bought in Melbourne, can share experiences and review

Came across Following who got in stock

https://www.lekkerbikes.com.au/bikes-on ... bMQAvD_BwE

https://chappelli.com/

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/collectio ... JMQAvD_BwE

10speedsemiracer

Re: Anyone recently bought a new single speed bike with reasonable build quality, please share

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:36 am

The Lekker is overpriced for what it is and doesn't quite fit into your description of simple and maintenance-free with a less-than-common rear brake on 3sp models.

The Reid single-speeds are very (very) entry-level. Unfortunately I've seen and worked on a few of them. It's not that they're fundamentally bad, it's that they are finished badly, with very cheap cables, bearings, brakes, tyres and especially the wheelset. Whilst not beyond redemption, the $s involved in making the bike perform and last as it should make the bike non-viable.

The Chapelli Vintage 3sp looks a lot better, with a Sturmey-Archer hub and a light cr-mo (a light steel alloy) frame. It also seems to have some better components although details are scant.

Lastly, your usage scenario may or may not be suited to a single-speed bike, or even a 3sp unless you live in a relatively flat area. Towing a child trailer makes hill-climbing a lot harder, and if the bike in question has a reduced gearing range (in comparison to a traditional geared bike) then the issue is exacerbated further.

I'd suggest a hybrid bike with an 8sp or 9sp derailleur-shifted gearset and 2 or 3 chainrings at the front is more viable.

Something like this Polygon Path3 hybrid bike is roughly the same cost as the Lekker and Chappelli but has hydraulic disc brakes front and rear plus a good quality Shimano 3x9sp drivetrain which any bike shop can service, tune or repair. It also has more substantial tyres which mean a more comfortable ride
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

the100rub

Re: Anyone recently bought a new single speed bike with reasonable build quality, please share

Postby the100rub » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:14 am

Thanks
Last edited by the100rub on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

the100rub

Postby the100rub » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:16 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:36 am

I'd suggest a hybrid bike with an 8sp or 9sp derailleur-shifted gearset and 2 or 3 chainrings at the front is more viable.

Something like this Polygon Path3 hybrid bike is roughly the same cost as the Lekker and Chappelli but has hydraulic disc brakes front and rear plus a good quality Shimano 3x9sp drivetrain which any bike shop can service, tune or repair. It also has more substantial tyres which mean a more comfortable ride

Really appreciate your post with detailed explanation, can’t thank enough.

At back of my OP was keeping an eye on the bicycle online for the path 3 and mtb as well. Your post make sense and directed me in the right direction and clarity. I m keeping options open.

cram

Postby cram » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:13 pm

I had a Kona Honky Tonk - single speed flat bar road bike. Never had a problem, nothing needed fixing. great quality. Fun to ride.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:36 pm

Got a budget in mind?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:45 pm

The specs on the Berlin are much the same as my Avanti Solo which I purchased back in 2012 and it is a great bike at a great price.
OI onya bike!!!

pekoetee

Postby pekoetee » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:04 pm

In 2018 I purchased one of Lekkers Amsterdam 3 speed bikes. It wasn’t necessarily a bad bike but for what I payed back in 2018 it left a lot to be desired. But the quality may have changed between now and then so don’t be afraid of taking one for a test ride and seeing how you personally like it.