24hr races ???

madrapper

24hr races ???

Postby madrapper » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:57 pm

The Dirty Weekend 24hr race in Fox Creek, SA just got canceled which got me wondering what has happened to 24hr racing in Australia?
AFAIK there is only :-
  • DIrty Weekend in Fox Creek, SA
    Hidden Valley in QLD
    Jet Black outside of Sydney
    18hrs of Melrose in SA
& that is about it.

Anyone know of any others around the country?
Cheers,
Dave

mikgit

Re: 24hr races ???

Postby mikgit » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:11 pm

I think they just resurrected the Kellivie 24 in Tas, ran a couple of weeks ago, but not usre if it is back to 24h...think so...

I have been wondering htis for a while too... not that i was going to do a solo 24, but doing it in a team with some mates was great fun. Now everything seems to have been replaced by stage races, which , well its not a bad thing, but they take liek 4+ days and a huge amount of setup, rather than a weekend in the 1 spot.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:30 pm

The Jet Black still runs, but sadly the Mont 24 is no longer. They are much smaller events than they used to be, especially with the advent of eBikes making gravity disciplines easier as you can now self-shuttle.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:26 pm

Multi-hour endurance racing has been declining for quite a few years now, because it's just not the trendy thing in MTB at the moment; most people just want to send it on descents, hence the popularity of multi-stage gravity "enduro" events.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:40 pm

Thankx for the replies ppl - most appreciated. Understand the attraction of eMtb's but can't get my head around eMtb 'racing'... Can't believe that there isn't a 24hr in Canberra anymore - that was a huge event. Raced there a number of times at the original location at Stromlo, pre-bushfires, then Kowen, in good conditions & also in sleet & hail. A multi day stage race in Canberra would be awesome... so many locations to ride.
Cheers,
Dave

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:13 pm

madrapper wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:40 pm
Thankx for the replies ppl - most appreciated. Understand the attraction of eMtb's but can't get my head around eMtb 'racing'... Can't believe that there isn't a 24hr in Canberra anymore - that was a huge event. Raced there a number of times at the original location at Stromlo, pre-bushfires, then Kowen, in good conditions & also in sleet & hail. A multi day stage race in Canberra would be awesome... so many locations to ride.
'
Same for me. I do really miss those events. I bought a Scalpel 29r specifically for them, then had a run of instances where I got sick in the leadup thanks to respiratory bugs caught on public transport. Got to do the last one at least, in fact I'm wearing the event t-shirt as I type this :lol:

This year the goal is to do a MTB marathon instead, so I'll probably do the Convict 100 sometime in November. Having dropped the ball on maintaining fitness and endurance over the last 2 years, I'll need about that long to get back up to speed. :oops:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu May 05, 2022 1:26 pm

madrapper wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:57 pm
The Dirty Weekend 24hr race in Fox Creek, SA just got canceled which got me wondering what has happened to 24hr racing in Australia?
AFAIK there is only :-
  • DIrty Weekend in Fox Creek, SA
    Hidden Valley in QLD
    Jet Black outside of Sydney
    18hrs of Melrose in SA
& that is about it.

Anyone know of any others around the country?
There was a 12 hour "Dusk Till Dawn" event in Perth a few years ago but not aware of any 24hr ones.

2019 - https://westcycle.org.au/events/dusk-ti ... -hour-mtb/
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am

CORC are running a 24hr at Stromlo on 1/2 October this year, entries have opened, see here
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack