Ebike suggestions for 5 footer...

Zizi05

Ebike suggestions for 5 footer...

Postby Zizi05 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:34 pm

Hello, newbie here. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I've been looking all over the web but whenever I find one that would fit me and my budget, it's not available in au. I'm looking for an adult ebike that would fit me (5 footer) with a price range below $2000. I'm hoping it would be foldable, but with such limited options in au, I'm willing to forego that detail if there's nothing. Throttle would be nice. I need something with wheels at 20" or bigger, any less and I find it straining to paddle, not to mention the problems with bumpy roads.

Any suggestions?

Gordonhooker

Re: Ebike suggestions for 5 footer...

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:10 am

Zizi05 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:34 pm
Hello, newbie here. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I've been looking all over the web but whenever I find one that would fit me and my budget, it's not available in au. I'm looking for an adult ebike that would fit me (5 footer) with a price range below $2000. I'm hoping it would be foldable, but with such limited options in au, I'm willing to forego that detail if there's nothing. Throttle would be nice. I need something with wheels at 20" or bigger, any less and I find it straining to paddle, not to mention the problems with bumpy roads.

Any suggestions?
Do an internet search of ebike retailers in your area and go and talk to the staff in the retail outlet especially ones that enable test rides.
OI onya bike!!!

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:48 pm

Yes, a lot depends on where you live. I've seen small wheel folding e-bikes being ridden by delivery riders so they are out there... If you are in Sydney i've had good dealings with Sydney Electric Bikes.

Be aware that these days a throttle is not legal unless it is a "walking throttle" meaning top throttle speed about 6kmh. I'm sure there are bikes out there with them on and as long as you don't ride it like a motorcycle and are seen doing that before a crash then you should be OK.

Biggest problem with illegal ebikes: overpowered or throttle fitted, is that if you have a crash and are injured then you may well find any payout is cut because of the illegal bike as contributory negligence. Insurance companies (yours or the car what hit you) will do their best to pay out least and if that means saying it was your fault cos obviously you were speeding/not paying attention/anything they will.

Metadeth

Postby Metadeth » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:19 pm

The only electric folding bikes that come to mind are the Bromptons, but those would be well over your budget

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:05 am

Aldi special?
Looks like you can get that seat down to the front wheel rim.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:28 am

Looks like the OP was a one-hit-wonder that posted this question and never came back.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:04 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:28 am
Looks like the OP was a one-hit-wonder that posted this question and never came back.
Paddled off with a strain :-)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ