Choosing An E-Bike

NeedGuidance

Choosing An E-Bike

Postby NeedGuidance » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:07 am

Been reading the forum off and on for a while, but not posted.

I used to commute to work on a Bianchi about 4 years ago. Then my job needs changed and I had to take the car for about 6 months with daily meetings etc all over the city, I lost my legs.

In an attempt to recover my legs I bought a cheap exercise bike and was fairly far into working back when I suffered a health crisis ending in hospital. This kind of put me off the exercise bike.

Now a year or so after all this, the health issue is diagnosed and medicated to control and I am thinking I would like to get an ebike to enable me to part get my legs back and at the same time be capable of letting me recover my legs should I need to take the car continuously as happened prior.

To put this in perspective, I am not tiny. I weigh more than I look like I do, I come in at about 117 kg usually thats maximum with a more normal about 113kg. However I am not beyond adding a pannier with a few items so I am nudging the weight limits on most e bikes.

Two I am seriously considering are https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bike ... rCode=blue and the https://perthelectricbikecentre.com.au/ ... pez-frame/ however I am not fixated on either...although She Who Must Be Obeyed likes the Trek more.

The journey is about 12 km each way and there are some hills (Nasty for unfit people like me) between home and work. I think the hills are about 2 km of the trip and some have a traffic light part way up as well.

Has anyone got any experience with either of these bikes, or is there a better mid point bike I should look at? I do want to find something local I can test ride rather than order on line. I have found on riding several some cause my knee injury from childhood to act up and others put my weight forward onto my hands etc.

Thanks

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Choosing An E-Bike

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi, I checked the bikes and I personally like the Kalkhoff... good brand with plenty of ebike history (i.e solid bikes built for purpose) and on spec it has the better motor but a mixed-bag of components. That is not bad (as such) but lower level components will be compared againts higher level components. I like the ‘slight’ step-over ... the top tube is a big lower and in comparision is slightly less sporty than the trek which actually means it is a comfortabling cruising / commuting bike.

The Trek is blue... nice colour which can make it more attractive. Slightly higher level components but slightly lower level motor... so it all evens out a bit.

The trek using its own-brand bontrager gear which tends to be hard to directly compare.

Overall, fairly comparable bikes so you have done well... they both appear to have all of basics and the integration (racks, mudguards, lights) and are both reputable brands. Arguably, the relaxed comfort of the Kalkhoff along with their history building commuter and ebikes and slightly better Bosch motor would put this ahead of the trek... but the trek is blue and you can’t overlook the aesthethic value... if you just like a bike more, then that is the one for you.

So very comparable bikes but do test ride before buying just to confirm the bike uou want feels right.
Cycling is in my BNA

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:42 pm

Just to add to the above, the Kalkhoff has a suspension fork - more comfortable, but more weighty

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:08 am

There are so many variations for bikes it can be confusing, and going to an ebike just adds to your choices.

Both the bikes you are looking at are fairly similar, with good quality bosch motors, but as AU bicycles said, the kalkhoff has the higher spec - the trek uses the "active line" with a maximum torque of 40 Nm, while the kalkhoff uses the "performance line" with a maximum torque of 65Nm.

A 400 watt hour battery will be heaps for your commute - you may need to charge it once or twice per week.

Both have integrated lights, muduards and a rear rack which I like for a commuter

As for weight limits, trek are usually one of the better brands, both in publishing the recommended limit and it is usually reasonably generous. For the verve however its 136 kg, including the bike weight of 23.5, ie rider + cargo limit is 112.5kg, which doesn't leave much for cargo. The shop you linked to doesn't list a weight limit for the kalkhoff, but according to their website its 130kg. Kalkhoff do a plus series with a weight limit of 170kg, but I can't see any listed on the perth shop - it might be worth asking about

A couple of other bikes you might want to consider
  • Giant explore E+ RRP is a bit higher, but you might be able to negotiate a better price. Doesn't list a weight limit
  • Orbea Keram SUV 30 - similar to the trek. Doesn't list maximum weight, but said to have cargo capacity of 40kg, so it should be fairly generous
Anything you can do, I can do slower

NeedGuidance

Postby NeedGuidance » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:59 pm

I decided on the Trek in the end.

It was difficult to pick them, I think it rode better than the Kalkhoff.

The real deciding factor was the shop itself. The shop with the Kalkhoff was ... less than direct on a few things, and I felt manipulated away from another bike in the store without adequate reason. The final deciding factor was the Trek 30 day change of mind return.

Thanks all for the posts, it was difficult. My brain said Kalkhoff (or the Focus on special for $1000 less) but I liked the ride on the Trek more and the shop is closer to home.

Thanks again.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:37 pm

It's the challenge of deciding between similar items, but either way you should be happy.

Good luck with your continued recovery
Anything you can do, I can do slower

EB_Newbie

Postby EB_Newbie » Tue May 18, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi everyone,

E-bike newbie here. I am thinking of purchasing my first e-bike. I am a student and my budget is only $1500 max. The reason why I want to an e-bike is mainly to commute to uni and maybe do some ubering on the side.

I came across the following site that is offering 25% OFF NCM Milano Plus and Venice Plus for three days using a coupon code. I like the look of the NCM bikes however these bikes are "refurbished".Not sure if it is worth $1199 for ~6-12 month old NCM bike. It does come with a warranty of 6 months though.

https://buy.ridezoomo.com/collections/a ... descending

My question here is: 1) Is the NCM Milano Plus or Venice Plus a good introductory bike?; 2) Is an NCM refurbished Milano Plus or Venice plus worth $1199?; and 3) Are there better alternatives that I should be considering?

Please note that I am in no way affiliated with this company. Just trying to get bang for my buck here.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 20, 2021 3:41 pm

Refurbished sounds fine with a warranty. The problem with second hand is while the price is better there are no guarantees so if the price is right... then I would be interested. But the key thing with ebikes is the battery... you want assurances that it is as close as can be to new (or capacity of new) because old batteries can have significantly reduced run-times and are pricey to replace.

It is hard to get good ebikes in this price range and NCM and the retailer are established... so if everything stacks up, it could be good. In this price category you will find some dodgy brands or bikes that are very very basic.

Do check on the motor brand on these and get a confirmation that they provide support / servicing if needed.

Otherwise, test ride. It needs to be smooth.. and not jolty or with sudden power on / off (poor motors and controllers are not very fluid).
Cycling is in my BNA

sophiesnowpea

Postby sophiesnowpea » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Hello!

I am new here and also pretty new to ebikes (I hope I am posting in the correct place?) I am in Brisbane and researching an ebike to purchase but feeling so overwhelmed at the amount of information and different bikes available! I am wondering if anyone can help me navigate this!?

I need to pull a bike trailer up a hill (I already have the trailer) with two children in it for school/kindy runs (aprox 10-12kms per day). So far this has narrowed it down to a mid drive motor, disc brakes, step through with a quick release rear wheel attachment for the trailer as well as rear rack that is safe to hold a bike seat (up to 25kgs). My budget is around 3k, however I have tried a bike at this price (Cube - 3K) as well as a friends Kalkholff (4K) and the KTM Macina (4.5K) and both the Kalkhoff and Macina, had much better assistance up the hills, compared to the Cube. Not sure if the difference between the bikes has been because I actually need to consider increasing my budget in order to get a bike that will give me that push up the hills that I think I am going to need with the trailer or if it's just that all the different bikes are going to feel different and I have to find the one that feels right for me?? (Also side note I have not yet looked into which Kalkholff (if any in my budget) can actually hold a bike trailer or bike seat)

I have been highly recommended this TEBCO bike, (3K) but am unable to try it, there is a shipment coming in but I would have to put a deposit down and commit to buying before trying, which I am hesitant to do (would you buy an ebike before trying it?): https://www.electricbicycle.com.au/suburban/ tebco as a company and their other bikes have very good reviews, I trust the shop bringing them in will be able to support me post purchase with any foreseeable issues as well which is a major plus.

This is the other bike I have been recommended and will try this weekend but is a bit more expensive than I was hoping (3.6K): https://electricbikesbrisbane.com.au/co ... bike-700wh

What are the things that I need to look for in an ebike that gives it the power? I feel like when I compare the the specs of the Macina, Cube and Tebco I can't see much of a difference (?) but the Cube and Macina felt very different when going up the hills, I felt the Macina had a lot more power and support when I peddled, and felt I had to work a lot harder with the Cube.

Macina I tried today - https://www.99bikes.com.au/ktm-21-macin ... atte-black
Cube I tried today - https://www.99bikes.com.au/cube-21-town ... ium-n-grey

Thanks so much for your help
Sophie

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:20 pm

The KTM Macina has more torque (65Nm vs 50Nm) than the Cube. That will make a difference up hill. Although it's a little hard to compare as they don't list chainring sizes so it might not be apples to apples.

Have a look at Blind Freddy E-bikes, maybe something like the Roma for $3500? Bafang M400 mid drive with 80Nm torque. (I have no association with BF E-bikes...)
https://blindfreddyebikes.com.au/collec ... 9509073048

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:32 pm

sophiesnowpea wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:40 pm
What are the things that I need to look for in an ebike that gives it the power? I feel like when I compare the the specs of the Macina, Cube and Tebco I can't see much of a difference (?) but the Cube and Macina felt very different when going up the hills, I felt the Macina had a lot more power and support when I peddled, and felt I had to work a lot harder with the Cube.
You need to ask the dealer how to manage the level of assistance. Any quality e-bike have multiple assistance levels so most likely you just need to select the right amount of assistance and select the right gear. I see so many e-bike riders using far too high gear and pedalling at a very lazy cadence.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sophiesnowpea

Postby sophiesnowpea » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks so much for the link to the Blind Freddy bikes and recommendation on how to use the gears and power settings! Will check out the Blind Freddy bikes this week and am starting to understand how the assistance works a little better now I am test riding a few bikes - Thanks for the tips!

LuxPerth

Postby LuxPerth » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Hey I don't know if you have already bought a bike yet...

I would steer clear of a Tebco step through bike. We have two, they work reasonably well but the frame is very weak in the main front beam from the part where the forks mount to the crank area.

There is a heap of torsion flex in the beam. If you have a few kilos on the back in a basket you can REALLY feel the frame flex to the point the bike feels unstable.

If you ride no hands the handle bars oscillate immediately.

I find the brakes, gears and electric aspects of the bike fine but if we knew about the frame issue we would have got a different type.

vanalan

Postby vanalan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 pm

Hi, Also a newbi considering an e bike for the hillier routes - age related cramping on hills is becoming irritating.
I have an old Giant hybrid Lenova - has been a good solid bike [95%] on and [5%] off road.
Have looked at mostly mid drives for their proportionate assist feature - Giant Roam e - $2900, Leitner 700e $1500 [mail order no testing] Aldi $1800 -also mail order.
Anyone have any of these bikes or comments on them?
Thanks

Mbizzle

Postby Mbizzle » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:26 pm

Hello

Interested to know what are the hardware /software restrictions on max speed of an electric bike, and how they can be overcome for off-road use?

Identical bikes can have different max speeds across countries, e.g. the Giant fastroad EX e + has a max speed of 45km in NZ and 25km in AUS.

Any indication in difficulty of overcoming these restrictions on the Giant fastroad EX e+ ?

Finally, can I assume adjusting the max speed won't impact performance on steep hills as that will be constrained by the 250w motor?
Thanks!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:00 pm

Mbizzle wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:26 pm
Hello

Interested to know what are the hardware /software restrictions on max speed of an electric bike, and how they can be overcome for off-road use?

Identical bikes can have different max speeds across countries, e.g. the Giant fastroad EX e + has a max speed of 45km in NZ and 25km in AUS.

Any indication in difficulty of overcoming these restrictions on the Giant fastroad EX e+ ?

Finally, can I assume adjusting the max speed won't impact performance on steep hills as that will be constrained by the 250w motor?
Thanks!!
Hi Mbizzle, is it legal to overcome the restrictions for off-road use?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mbizzle

Postby Mbizzle » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:22 am

Regulated speed restrictions/ max motor capacity don't apply to use off-road or on private roads.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:38 am

Mbizzle wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:26 pm
Hello

Thanks!!
-
I really don't know that this forum should be a platform to discussing work arounds for the legal requirements of an ebike in Australia. It may be legal to shortcut these safe guards on private property and off road but who is to say a person who follows those instructions and then rides the illegal bike on the road - where does that leave liability for the person providing the shortcut information. The safest thing for you to do would be to go straight to the manufacture and ask them what you can do.

My two cents worth...
OI onya bike!!!

Mbizzle

Postby Mbizzle » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:20 pm

🏅

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:20 pm

vanalan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 pm
Hi, Also a newbi considering an e bike for the hillier routes - age related cramping on hills is becoming irritating.
I have an old Giant hybrid Lenova - has been a good solid bike [95%] on and [5%] off road.
Have looked at mostly mid drives for their proportionate assist feature - Giant Roam e - $2900, Leitner 700e $1500 [mail order no testing] Aldi $1800 -also mail order.
Anyone have any of these bikes or comments on them?
Thanks
If you can afford the Giant I would go for it. E Bikes are something I would pay extra for to get brand name components and support. Giant aren't going to go out of business in the next 5 years and have shops everywhere, can't say the same for the direct to consumer brands.