NSW - Curl Curl to Sydney CBD

philled

NSW - Curl Curl to Sydney CBD

Postby philled » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:02 pm

Can anyone recommend a cycling route from Curl Curl to Sydney CBD? I've searched the forums and can't find anything.

trailgumby

Re: NSW - Curl Curl to Sydney CBD

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:42 pm

Fairly soon I hope, you'll have a dedicated cycleway along Oliver St from Curly to Freshwater.

I ride from Frenchs Forest East to the CBD via Allambie Road down to Condamine St and hook up with the Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation (BBCD) shared use path at Manly Vale.

To get to it, there's a shared use path from where Oliver St meets Pittwater Road at the intersection outside Bike Addiction, at which point you continue south along Pittwater Rd, which connects with Balgowlah Road. You can turn right (westbound) onto Kenneth Road, but I would recommend continuing south on Balgowlah Road, as there is a shared path that will take you south and west past the Boy Charlton aquatic centre through to Condamine St. Keep going until you get past Condamine St and turn right into Pitt St, and at the driveway at the end will be the start of BBCD shared use path.

Rather than riding up Dudley St from teh end of BBCD bike path onto Manly Road, I'd take the tunnel under BBCD and join up with I think it's Kempbridge St so that you can get across at the traffic lights and head west on Sydney Road to connect up with Battle Boulevarde down to the western side of Spit Bridge.

Once you cross Spit Bridge, do a 180 and go down under and around to get to the eastern side, and head up Parriwi Road.

At the top, you have a choice of crossing Spit Road and taking the signed bike route to North Sydney, and from there down to Milson's Point, or ducking left onto a short section of shared path onto a route that will take you through Mosman and Kirribilli. I'd recommend the North Sydney option for a new rider. Kirribilli involves lane filtering up a steepish climb which is not for the faint of heart or those with flat bars.

I usually ride Tuesday through Thursday. Tuesday and Wednesdays I do extras on the hills around Mosman for training, but I'd consider it a privilege to play chaperone on a Thursday if that suits? PM me if that is of interest and we can work something out.

philled

Postby philled » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:55 am

Thanks very much for that. It was a recommendation for the best way of getting from Curl Curl to the BBCD that I was looking for.

I'll look forward to trying that out.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:40 pm

philled wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:55 am
Thanks very much for that. It was a recommendation for the best way of getting from Curl Curl to the BBCD that I was looking for.

I'll look forward to trying that out.
Please let us know how you go.