Do current e-bike prices make any kind of sense?

mjbmikeb2

Do current e-bike prices make any kind of sense?

Postby mjbmikeb2 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:21 pm

Is this the new reality where the cost of the components bear no resemblance to the retail price?

I understand the worldwide shortage of bike bits, but are these things now regarded as luxury items by consumers rather than utility vehicles to get you from one place to another? Are the manufacturers making huge profits from e-bikes?

brumby33

Re: Do current e-bike prices make any kind of sense?

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:59 pm

mjbmikeb2 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:21 pm
Is this the new reality where the cost of the components bear no resemblance to the retail price?

I understand the worldwide shortage of bike bits, but are these things now regarded as luxury items by consumers rather than utility vehicles to get you from one place to another? Are the manufacturers making huge profits from e-bikes?
Very much luxury for me and is one of the reasons why I won't buy one (yet) while i can still sort of power myself without dying from a heart attack, I'll keep going with non-motorised although I've been told I can modify my Vivente Touring bike to a Pedalec system for up to $1800, but even for that kind of money, I'll take my time and use my 27 speed transmission. I guess for those who can justify them, great but they are just so expensive for what they are, some average ones nearing or over $5K, I can actually buy a 250cc motorcycle for that(yeah got a license for those) and am allowed to go up to 100kph :D

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:10 am

mjbmikeb2 wrote:

Bike manufacturers charge what they think people will pay, and that is a ridiculously overpriced. Even normal bikes, the top of the range Specialized Tarmac is $20k and they fly off the shelf.

E-bikes are overpriced but no more than other types of bikes. There is a gap right now between traditional bike brands building Ebikes with quality components (E.g Deore with Hydro brakes and Shimano steps) and charging $5k and the new entrants building with cheap posts and charging $2k (e.g tourney, mech disc and noname motors). I'm hoping more automotive/ motor cycle brands come into the space between, offering better value. Yamaha has already started with their own bikes running on their own E bike system.

Overall Ebikes are luxury that don't make sense for most use cases. I believe Ebikes only really make sense for 1) E-MTBs to help up long slow climbs 2) Ecargo bikes for their car replacing load carrying ability. Outside of this you are probably better with a EScooter or normal bike

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:47 am

blizzard wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:10 am
mjbmikeb2 wrote:

Bike manufacturers charge what they think people will pay, and that is a ridiculously overpriced. Even normal bikes, the top of the range Specialized Tarmac is $20k and they fly off the shelf.

E-bikes are overpriced but no more than other types of bikes. There is a gap right now between traditional bike brands building Ebikes with quality components (E.g Deore with Hydro brakes and Shimano steps) and charging $5k and the new entrants building with cheap posts and charging $2k (e.g tourney, mech disc and noname motors). I'm hoping more automotive/ motor cycle brands come into the space between, offering better value. Yamaha has already started with their own bikes running on their own E bike system.

Overall Ebikes are luxury that don't make sense for most use cases. I believe Ebikes only really make sense for 1) E-MTBs to help up long slow climbs 2) Ecargo bikes for their car replacing load carrying ability. Outside of this you are probably better with a EScooter or normal bike
-
I don't agree, ebikes make sense for people who are no longer as fit as they once were who still enjoy getting out on a bike and take in the sites and fresh air at a slow pace.
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:44 am

There's 1 sector who are making good money from e-bikes and are those who lease these E-bikes that are not restricted to the food delivery sector, they don't seem to be scrutinised by the law for renting out illegally de-restricted ebikes that have throttles and often cruise without pedalling at over 40kph.
They rent these bikes out to Students who work in the food delivery sector for around $100 pw, that's $400 p/m or $4,800 per year, so after 2 years, they have doubled their money on each bike. Many of these bikes look as though they've been imported from China as many Asian Female riders rent the ones with small wheels and easy to get on/off.
The Students do make good money from these jobs and suits their lifestyle and study times. I've spoken to a few of them...they are actually quite nice people with limited English but seem to have little interest or knowledge that in fact what they are riding is illegal.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB