Dirt Jumper Rim/Wheel Upgrade Suggestions?

JoshWa

Dirt Jumper Rim/Wheel Upgrade Suggestions?

Postby JoshWa » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:21 pm

Hello All,
Its been a fair while since I was into riding and have since picked up a Norco Dirt Jumper.
I've had it about 2 months or so and have already buckled a rear rim due to some harder landings.

I am thinking about upgrading it to something a bit stronger (guessing a double wall or something??) than what they provided from the factory however don't know any of the brands to be trying to check out these days. A quick google doesn't really fill me with much confidence, hence the question here.

Original wheel is 26inch.
Ideally i would rather just get a wheel setup rather than the hassle of trying to swap the rim over to the old hub/etc.
Cheers

trailgumby

Re: Dirt Jumper Rim/Wheel Upgrade Suggestions?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:43 pm

Depends on what your rear axle is:
* 135 x 10 QR
* 135 x 10 Bolt-up
* 142 x 12
* 148 x 12
* 150 x ?? Bolt-up

This is a little old, but see last post on this thread:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomm ... did=173256

JoshWa

Postby JoshWa » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:43 pm
Depends on what your rear axle is:
* 135 x 10 QR
* 135 x 10 Bolt-up
* 142 x 12
* 148 x 12
* 150 x ?? Bolt-up

This is a little old, but see last post on this thread:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomm ... did=173256
thanks for the reply. Its been a while, where would I find that? stamped inside the wheel?

I can see online for the specs that its a Alex MUS 30 rim. source - https://www.99bikes.com.au/bike18-norco ... ed-black-1

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:40 am

Well, that's going to be an interesting challenge. It's a freewheel, not a freehub, so I got no idea. It's a bolt-up per the photo, but it's a pretty budget build judging by the RRP, so not sure if it's worth investing a whole lot into a more upmarket wheel.

Unless what you have is completely tacoed, my idea would be to try to get it trued as best you can, get it tensioned up, and then see if you can get something like Cushcore for the back wheel and run it tubeless with sealant. I don't know a whole lot about DJ, so I'd recommend getting a second opinion.

JoshWa

Postby JoshWa » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 pm

I'm not too worried about spending a bit on some wheels with different hubs or whatever I had to start somewhere.. but buckled wheels put a dampener on it pretty quick. I would assume if I did the rear this quick no matter if I get them true its going to happen again with bigger/harder landings. I just need an idea on what is decent and what is going to fit.. can I just get a whole wheel thats 26 with a free spinning sprocket setup and call it a day

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:27 pm

JoshWa wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 pm
I'm not too worried about spending a bit on some wheels with different hubs or whatever I had to start somewhere.. but buckled wheels put a dampener on it pretty quick. I would assume if I did the rear this quick no matter if I get them true its going to happen again with bigger/harder landings. I just need an idea on what is decent and what is going to fit.. can I just get a whole wheel thats 26 with a free spinning sprocket setup and call it a day
As it's single speed and, as you've indicated, cops a beating, I'd recommend sticking with some kind of bolt-up axle, which means not a regular 26" mtb wheel. 36 spokes is right.

Industry 9 is gold standard, but could be as much or more than you paid for the entire bike.

Maybe something like a Sun Ringle MTX33 if you can get it in 36H, and re-lace it to your current hub

JoshWa

Postby JoshWa » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:00 pm

Thanks mate ill have a look