Orthotics

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
wongaga

Orthotics

Postby wongaga » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:11 pm

Has anyone been down the road of dealing with pain in the ball of the foot? This was never a problem for me until I started putting in more km's during lockdown. In my effort to push the averages up, I probably over-tightened the toe straps in my shoes for better pedal up-stroking, and the onset of pain coincided with this. It might be coincidental, but there's a pretty solid association.

I've seen a podiatrist who recommends rest and arch supports, but doesn't think I need custom ortho's. So any suggestions re over-the-counter supports would be welcomed.

Cheers, Graeme

g-boaf

Re: Orthotics

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:39 pm

wongaga wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:11 pm
Has anyone been down the road of dealing with pain in the ball of the foot? This was never a problem for me until I started putting in more km's during lockdown. In my effort to push the averages up, I probably over-tightened the toe straps in my shoes for better pedal up-stroking, and the onset of pain coincided with this. It might be coincidental, but there's a pretty solid association.

I've seen a podiatrist who recommends rest and arch supports, but doesn't think I need custom ortho's. So any suggestions re over-the-counter supports would be welcomed.

Cheers, Graeme
Not sure about over the counter ones, I have actual custom orthotics made (for S-Works 6 shoes), they are different for each foot. I would guess you need to just ease off the riding a bit, maybe if you can find some cheap arch supports in various sizes just try them out. Don't over tighten your shoes either.

Without knowing your overall level of fitness and activity levels, my thoughts are that higher averages (in speed) is consistent and methodical training and likely more leg strength, so you probably want to get to the gym or get some gym equipment at home. There is a topic in the training forum about that.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:11 pm

wongaga wrote:

Cheers, Graeme
By toe straps, you mean the front straps of shoes, not pedal straps, yeah? If I overtighten mine I get numb toes, so there's certainly some impact from overly tight shoes.

I use off the shelf Talarmade branded 3/4 length red (sometimes blue) orthotics for arch issues and pronation that was causing some knee issues. I didn't need to go down the route of custom made. The full length ones were just too much, the build up effect meant the toe areas of a few pairs of shoes were too tight. Cheaper to get 3/4 inserts than 3 or 4 new pairs of shoes. Another advantage is that the cooling slots on the soles of my cycling shoes weren't covered over either. I put the older pairs in my cycling shoes, as they flatten a little over time in regular use and I'd rather not just throw them out. It's not that critical for me that they are 100% the same height or density, I've found. If I spend long without them (walking or riding) I can definitely feel it on the inside of my knees as my feet roll inwards slightly with each movement.

I have experienced foot pain using SPD pedals for extended periods (an hour or so is usually the limit, so I only commute on them) vs my regular Speedplay (and Look delta prior to that) for longer rides on the roadies. The smaller contact patch gives a hotspot effect just to the pedal side of the ball of my foot. Orthotics don't prevent this issue for me, but everyone is different and your expert advice certainly trumps my anecdata, YMMV.

Jim

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:16 pm

Also worth making absolutely sure if you using cleats that they are positioned correctly, that can also cause all sorts of dramas with your feet. I went through that recently too. I had to back off my kms per week to let things recover and then it came good.

BicycleBuddha

Postby BicycleBuddha » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:48 pm

wongaga wrote:

Cheers, Graeme
If your pain is in the ball of the foot *the underside), then it is unlikely due to a tight strap over the top of the shoe.
It is more likely due to increasing your volume too quickly and irritating a big toe flexor tendon or bursa.
You could also try wedge under the ball of your foot (inside the shoe). This would be like using a medial wedge between shoe and cleat....but you apparently don't use modern cleats. With the ball of the foot elevated, it won't get as irritated with pushing down and pulling up.
It's a common problem.
If this doesn't work, then try a longitudinal medial arch support as others say.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:44 am

A brand suggestion - G8.

Helps to have an expert help setup, but they have some adjustable solutions. But for the cost of cash, having an expert to resolve you specific issues can see your pain free and confident.
Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:14 am

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:16 pm
Also worth making absolutely sure if you using cleats that they are positioned correctly, that can also cause all sorts of dramas with your feet. I went through that recently too. I had to back off my kms per week to let things recover and then it came good.
Agree with this.
Haven't had any foot problems for years but very careful where I place my cleats.
It could be worth moving the cleat back a touch toward the rear of the shoe and see how you go with that.
Take a photo of the underside of each shoe first so you can easily go back where they were if required.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:13 am

That was the question that I asked when I bought cleats - the bike fitter said that I wouldn't need to put the orthotics into my shoes as I'm not walking in my shoes/on my feet whereas my ski boots are a totally different scenario.
I really should take up cycling!

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:25 pm

I have custom orthotics and the G8's...I prefer the G8's and they are much cheaper!
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...