3000w ebike and the law in Victoria?

warthog1

Re: 3000w ebike and the law in Victoria?

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:19 pm

Yeah this thread has been fairly challenging to read.
I contacted one of our mods who suggested there may have been some cognitive issues.
A strong possibility given the story and contradictions and incongruity within the posts.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20378557
Perhaps that makes it easier to accept/understand anyway.
It did for me.

The thread gives me even more reason to stay off shared paths.
A gravel bike is just around the corner.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Gwheel21

Postby Gwheel21 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 am

trailgumby wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:16 pm
Ebikingmelb wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:31 am
Thank you for your reply guys I'm honestly overwhelmed by the amount of things you have told me.
Something to bear in mind while riding your ebike.

Recently a rider on a triathlon bike ran a red light and hit a pedestrian.
I know this is off topic, but being both a motorist and a cyclist I get a bit disappointed when I read stuff like this. I think drivers who don't look out for cyclists shouldn't be driving. But having had cyclists and in particular ones who were more interested in cadence and heart rate/ personal bests give me only a second of response time when I am driving to correct their mistakes to avoid changing both our lives I can't find a great deal of sympathy for that particular rider. I admit cyclists need a little room for error than that, but I feel like there is more to that case and how they reached a decision of that level of negligence.
Just saying.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 pm

Gwheel21 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 am
I know this is off topic, but being both a motorist and a cyclist I get a bit disappointed when I read stuff like this. I think drivers who don't look out for cyclists shouldn't be driving. But having had cyclists and in particular ones who were more interested in cadence and heart rate/ personal bests give me only a second of response time when I am driving to correct their mistakes to avoid changing both our lives I can't find a great deal of sympathy for that particular rider. I admit cyclists need a little room for error than that, but I feel like there is more to that case and how they reached a decision of that level of negligence.
Just saying.
It’s not the only time this sort of judgement has happened (although in this case, rider hits debris on road, loses control and hits another rider, who is then hit by car…but rider 1 is deemed negligent)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... low-rider/
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:35 pm

queequeg wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 pm

It’s not the only time this sort of judgement has happened (although in this case, rider hits debris on road, loses control and hits another rider, who is then hit by car…but rider 1 is deemed negligent)

Which is why I HATE strangers half wheeling or following really closely.

I either speed up to get away or slow down to let them past

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:35 pm
queequeg wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 pm

Which is why I HATE strangers half wheeling or following really closely.

I either speed up to get away or slow down to let them past
I think in this case, the two riders were friends. The only way for the second rider to get any compensation was to sue his friend. It’s also why I hate riding in narrow bike lanes with no “out” due to debris falling of trucks.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:36 am

Gwheel21 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 am
trailgumby wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:16 pm
Ebikingmelb wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:31 am
Thank you for your reply guys I'm honestly overwhelmed by the amount of things you have told me.
Something to bear in mind while riding your ebike.

Recently a rider on a triathlon bike ran a red light and hit a pedestrian.
Just saying.
Not my concern about the rider. My concern is that bike riders, who in the overwhelming majority are harmless, now lack the protections granted to much more dangerous motor vehicle drivers.

Further, anyone they do hurt now has to go through court to get compensation rather than having to deal with the CTP system.

More than a little dysfunctional, is it not?

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:59 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:49 pm
RonK wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:31 pm
<snips>
One observation is that many e-bike riders seem to think there is no need to change gear - you see them pedalling at ridiculously low cadences. Even an e-bike has its limits and won't climb well in high gear.
This +1.
I added a hard tail e-MTB to my fleet for mountainbiking and shopping with a trailer. Centre drive. One thing I noticed is that I used to forget to change gears because the same signals one was used to from a non ebike were not there so you have to make it a conscious effort to remember. I ended up putting a sticker in the top tube and reset my brain this way. Much kinder to the drivechain also.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:50 pm

PS 10speedsemiracer, you nailed it.

I notice that the OP has not reappeared on this this site. The obvious conclusion is that the OP was expecting another internet echo chamber which would validate his choices, good and bad but found otherwise.

It is constantly a credit to this forum that such members, when they arise, often depart very quickly as they see that tribal sentiments they seek are mostly over-ridden by reason and concern for a community broader than our own.

It'd sound patronizing to expand further. Just carry on riding and be careful out there.

And especially watch out for any entitled twats sharing your space on inappropriate devices behaving dangerously.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle