Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Comedian

Re: Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:36 am

stevenaaus wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:34 pm
Sorry to dig up a zombie thread, but a mate was looking for his old Mt Cootha times (2009 to 2013 or so), and i found this post, though the link and user-contact seem dead. Any ideas about if they still exist somewhere ? Cheers.
BruceGray wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:33 pm
I've done stats analysis on the Coot-tha Challenge for the last few years.
2009 is on this Bicycle Qld web page about half way down
http://www.bq.org.au/bq-info/news.shtml

2008 to 2010 results are here
http://users.on.net/%7Ethefirstbruce/Co ... 202010.zip
I only entered the 2008 ride and had a chain come off. :?

A few pointers:
- Unless you are a seasoned hill climber, it is easier with a lower geared bike, like a roadie with a compact chainring (32-34) and at least a 25 cog gear on the cassette.
- most mountain bikes would have low enough gears.
- good idea to get some practice in on hills before attemtping it.
- the most acknowledged grade from memory is 9.4%, but the 300 metres to Channel 10 is probably 10.5%.
- the distance ridden and measured is 2320 metres.
- the vertical ascent is 217 metres.
- make sure your bike is in good condition before riding. Cleats need to be firm in pedals so they don't slip out when riding up. Gears need to be adjusted properly so you have smooth changes on the hill. Brakes need to be 110% reliant for the downhill bits. Wheels need to be true. Ensure you are well hydrated beforehand, and keep drinking all the way.
- hold a straight line when riding up, otherwise you are likely to be involved in accidents.
- the best time to practice riding up the hill (anti-clockwise) is Sunday mornings before 6.30am. There's fewer cars. If practising riding up, be very wary of cars coming downhill (and cyclists). Don't presume they'll stay on their side of the road.
I'm sure there was one of the timing pages that had these.. but I can't find it now. Maybe shoot BQ an email and report back?

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:22 pm

I had a quick look through the google links and had no success - BQ is probably your best bet.

I have a mate who's a top cyclist and thinks he did a 7 minute on a fixie at one point. But it predates GPS timing and he's since moved to San Diego so I can give him a hard time about beating the 8:49 that is his fastest on Strava.

In this age of us Strava heroes it must be terrible to know you've done a quick time but have no proof!

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Ok - I've tried flogging a dead horse and emailed BQ, but it's pretty pointless imho.
Sorry, but not much faith in them myself, and this is pushing it too.
I had a big google and search on web archive, but turned up nothing.

7 minutes on a fixie to improve 8-50...hmmm :| :)

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:17 am

Anyway, BQ got back to me with my mates results, so thanks to them.

'cept they're too fast!. Surely the old goat couldn't have got up that quick :)

brandy234

Postby brandy234 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 pm

correy wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:57 am
dclnmurray wrote:Time: 06:38

Excellent time. I wonder how quickly the elite pro's could climb mt Coot-tha as I see you are an A grade cyclist.

cheers

Dave
Hi Dave,
According to cycle2max that time is equivalent to 7w/kg over 6:38mins the very best in the world can put out 7.6w/kg over 5 mins. I think they could prob do 6:20mins or a bit less.

Cycle2max allows you to compare watts/kg ( rough estimates ) so you can see how you compare. Here is a good comparison chart for you:
http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_fac ... obench.htm

To get accurate you really do need a power meter which I don't have yet ): and to me the 20 min interval is the most important indicator of how good you really are. As there is no use having a world class sprint eg 24.04w/kg if you can never get to the end of the race to use it.
Thread mining deep here! But it is interesting that this prediction from 10 years ago has turned out to be pretty close.

The Strava KOM is held by Jay Vine (who got a podium on a stage of the Vuelta this year and looks to be a GC contender in future years) with a time of 6:01.

His power data shows he held an average of 499W, which I think puts his effort pretty much dead on 7W/kg.

Times in that range are just unbelievable! Amazing performance.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:13 pm

7W/kg over that distance is just amazing, I'm purely a W/kg rider am at around 5.3W/kg for Cootha Back. In a related vein I remember a cycling obsessed mate talking about a relatively unknown mountain biker's 86ml/kg Vo2 max around 1997 and having no idea what he was talking about. That would be Cadel Evans he was talking about.

It's funny seeing pro rider's names on our local climbs. My claim to fame is I have done the first 600m of 'Cootha Front' one second faster than Jay Vine (absolutely nothing to do with the massive tailwind and a runup) and have the same Gravatt time as Harry Sweeney (he probably did it once as recovery, on a BMX bike or something).

Never hit 'compare efforts' on Strava for those guys! It makes you realise how we're all really just mucking around.