A gravel bike for me...

RonK

A gravel bike for me...

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:51 am

Or - something (not) to Grizl about

After long procrastination, I needed motivation to get my knees fixed - so I promised myself a new bike, and a new adventure.

I had bilateral total knee replacement surgery in February. Rehabilitation is progressing very well. So last week a rather large box arrived.

And inside:

On my first short ride I discovered the oem Fizik Argo Terra X5 saddle is a real bum buster, so it's back to a well-used C17.

It was a totally seamless process buying online from Canyon. I couldn't be more happy with their service and their communications, and they delivered the bike a month earlier than they projected. The quality of the bike is astonishing, and it's excellent value to compared to other similar spec bikes available locally (if you can even find stock) that I was interested in such as the Diverge Expert, which is quite a bit dearer, is only 1X and has alloy rims.

Canyon offer this bike in seven sizes, and I was a bit skeptical about the sizing chart which put me on a medium rather than my more usual large frame sizing , but I definitely didn't want the reach to be any longer than the medium and it has turned out to be right on the money for me.

I'm planning a post-covid flashpacking trip to New Zealand early next year. Knees are working pretty well. Now to get the body back in shape. I have a big itinerary in the making.

Canyon Grizl
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

caneye

Re: A gravel bike for me...

Postby caneye » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 am

Wow! Looks fantastic.
Did the seatpost come standard with the frame?
650b tyres?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:39 am

caneye wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 am
Wow! Looks fantastic.
Did the seatpost come standard with the frame?
650b tyres?
Yes, the seat post is standard, and it soaks up the road buzz very nicely.

No, 700x45 tyres. Canyon say the frame can accommodate a 2" tyre and it looks like there is plenty of clearance for them, but I think 45mm is plenty big enough.

Only the two smallest sizes come with 650b wheels.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:12 am

Looks great and nice wheels 8)

Hope your knees keep improving.
Big surgery but big reward also :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:45 am

I am currently juggling between which gravel bike to buy with the Grizl being high on the list. No stock till October or November though. I'll likely shoot for the CF SL 7 model at this stage. Also on the list is the Grail CF or a Giant Revolt Advanced 0. Nothing else really comes close value wise.

Is your Grizl exclusive gravel use or are you mixing it with some road work in between? I'll likely be running a second wheelset with some 32's for commuting on this bike (when allowed to again) and am seeking thoughts on how the Grizl might handle a 20km commute in between more fun duties.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:40 pm

sir_camel wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:45 am
I am currently juggling between which gravel bike to buy with the Grizl being high on the list. No stock till October or November though. I'll likely shoot for the CF SL 7 model at this stage. Also on the list is the Grail CF or a Giant Revolt Advanced 0. Nothing else really comes close value wise.

Is your Grizl exclusive gravel use or are you mixing it with some road work in between? I'll likely be running a second wheelset with some 32's for commuting on this bike (when allowed to again) and am seeking thoughts on how the Grizl might handle a 20km commute in between more fun duties.

No it's far from exclusively for gravel use - I live in the Brisbane CBD, a long way from any gravel. So my riding is mostly urban until I take a trip out of the city. Mostly my gravel riding will be back roads bike packing in NZ, but there will day trips and weekenders around South East Queensland.

I bought the Grizl as an all-rounder, since I exchanged my road bike for a slab of beer with one of the forum members Xmas before last. It's a little difficult to judge the bike's performance as my own performance is rather ordinary while I'm recovering from knee replacement surgery.

Since the CF SLX 8 Grizl came equipped with carbon DT Swiss wheels a second set of the same was out of consideration. So I immediately replaced the fairly knobbly oem Schwalbe G One Bite tyres with 38mm Gravel King slicks. But I only did a couple of rides before deciding I wanted tubeless and fitted a pair of 45 mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H as my all-rounder tyres. After some experimenting with pressures the Grizl rolls beautifully on the Pirellis and I don't perceive much difference between them and the Gravel Kings.

I have been riding a 30km route along the Brisbane River several times a week and other routes on the weekends and can only say I'm delighted with my choice of the Grizl. The big tyres and the Canyon seat post soak up the bumps for a very comfortable ride, so yes it should be great on the commute.

I must say though - the oem Fizik Terra Argo saddle really looks the part but for me feels like sitting on a couple of iron bars. I've swapped it for my favourite Brooks Cambium C17 Allweather.

scoutfai

Postby scoutfai » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:03 pm

Looking closely at the Grizl too but my size according to Canyon is 2XS which the bike only can fit 650b wheel, not 700.
At first I thought the 2XS can fit the 700 just that the bike by default only comes with 650b wheel, but after chat with Canyon they said 700 will not fit to 2XS frame.
That kind of make me disappointed a bit.
For those above size 2xs and S I think Grizl is just great. Other bikes that come close in term of tires size probably Salsa.