Kid's BMX

P!N20

Kid's BMX

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:22 pm

So my 6yo son has expressed a bit of interest in getting a BMX (n+1, wonder who he gets that off?)

I'm not all that au fait with BMX bikes.

Currently he has a 20" Byk E-450; he rides it, but probably doesn't love it. He still rides his old 18" bike, which is a bit more BMX-y, but I feel it's too small for him.

I need to do some more research, but is there much of a difference between freestyle BMX (tricks and stuff) and track BMX bikes (jumps and stuff)? And does it matter?

It seems like kid's BMX have 18" wheels - feels like I'm going backwards, but is that just the nature of the machine? I mean, adult BMX bikes have 20" wheels, so I guess it's not an issue.

Also, is a BMX going to be useless for riding around the neighbourhood? I mean, he'll still have the Byk for longer rides, but on the same token, we won't be going to the BMX track every week.

Any recommendations and what to look out for?

Just as a starting point, this looks alright to me: https://www.99bikes.com.au/division-bli ... ished-2020

Mububban

Re: Kid's BMX

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Just from what I've seen at the local skate parks and pump tracks, race BMXs seem to have surprisingly skinny tyres (they look like 23-25mm?) and look light for maximum speed. Very loud freehubs as they pump around the track at high speed.

The guys doing tricks and jumps have 40mm+ tyres, their frames look like much chunkier tubing, and they have those foot pegs attached to the front and rear axles for rail grinding and general tricks.

So it's "lightweight sportscar" that gets very well looked after vs chunky monkey basharound bike they don't mind smashing into concrete and steel rails.

I reckon both of you go chat with some of the BMX riders at the local track he likes visiting, again in my limited experience, there are always older riders/skaters happy to share knowledge of the sport they love.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm

/
Also, is a BMX going to be useless for riding around the neighbourhood? I mean, he'll still have the Byk for longer rides, but on the same token, we won't be going to the BMX track every week.
Nah, it'll be just fine, but not built for speed. Kids throughout the late 70s and onwards all rode to school on Repco Hotfoots or Malvern Stars or Mongooses (Mongeese ?).

I might be able to sort something, if your boy isn't looking for a "trick" type BMX.

I'm going to admit that BMX is not my forte.

PM'd..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm
I might be able to sort something, if your boy isn't looking for a "trick" type BMX.

I asked him if he wanted to do tricks or race, he said 'both'. :D
Mububban wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:51 pm
I reckon both of you go chat with some of the BMX riders at the local track he likes visiting, again in my limited experience, there are always older riders/skaters happy to share knowledge of the sport they love.

Yeah good call, although we can't get to the BMX track while 5k restrictions are still in place. There's occasionally some dudes at the nearby skate park, so I might see if they're up for a chat.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:09 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 pm
I asked him if he wanted to do tricks or race, he said 'both'. :D

Found this really good explainer video :

Race bike vs freestyle - longer, lighter, much bigger chainring, compulsory brake.

My son just graduated from his 24" bike to an XS hardtail MTB, now he's using the 24" with the seat slammed as his "pump and jump" bike and uses the XS for riding to school and trail riding - so much for getting rid of one of the bikes to make space in the shed! :mrgreen:

And he keeps saying "gee it'd be nice to have a dirt jumper too...." That and already dreaming of a dual sus for trails when he's 14/15. Ffs kid, you don't get THAT much pocket money :mrgreen: N+1 has infected him before he's turned 11
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!