Budget beginner bicycle recommendation for 5'2" overweight woman?

monpar

Budget beginner bicycle recommendation for 5'2" overweight woman?

Postby monpar » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Hi,

I am looking to buy essentially my first adult bike. I live in Melbourne and would strongly prefer to go to the store to try out the bike if possible?

I'm a 5'2" woman, but quite overweight. Most bikes that meet my height criteria seem to have a weight limit of 100 kg and I'm almost bordering on that weight, so don't want to spend a bunch of money on a bike that won't be able to handle me, along with a bagpack and groceries or something.

It's also a beginner bike, so something comfortable that can be ridden around inner city and not super rough terrain or off-road would be preferred.

I'm also on a budget so something below $500 all up (including gear, lights, helmet etc.), if possible?

Any recommendations please, from all you bike enthusiasts and experts? Many thanks! I've searched far and wide, but can't seem to find a suitable bike for overweight short women in Australia. :(

AdelaidePeter

Re: Budget beginner bicycle recommendation for 5'2" overweight woman?

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:50 pm

monpar wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm
I am looking to buy essentially my first adult bike. I live in Melbourne and would strongly prefer to go to the store to try out the bike if possible?

I'm a 5'2" woman, but quite overweight. Most bikes that meet my height criteria seem to have a weight limit of 100 kg and I'm almost bordering on that weight...
Welcome! First, if you don't get much response, try the "General Cycling Discussion" board here. Second, have you been into a bike store and talked to someone? A good store will be helpful.

Anyway, Merida bikes have a general 120 kg limit, and I can't see anything stating that their women's bikes are one of the exceptions, though you should check before buying. Merida bikes are fairly good (I ride a ~$600 Merida myself for commuting, a Crossway 10V), and I suspect a number of other comparable brands (the sort bike stores stock) are similar.

It's hard to find a new Merida much below $500 though, and once you include a helmet (required) and lights (highly recommended), it will be hard to stay below $500. Also, if riding to the shops, a decent ("D" shaped) lock is essential: bike theft is depressingly common, and I have read several stories on Facebook of thefts when leaving bikes outside a shop or cafe for a very short time. Other than that, most other accessories you can buy as you go. I also have a bottle, bottle holder and carrier, but they are mainly for convenience: you can get away with a backpack and put a bottle in there, though I hate things on my back which is why I put a bag on a carrier. I don't wear any special cycling clothing.

I did see some cheaper bikes online at Anaconda, but I can not vouch for or against their quality.

1Rowdy1

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm

In your price range I would probably be looking at something like this.
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/collectio ... d-wsd-grey

This is a bit dearer but my wife loves hers
https://www.bikenow.com.au/crossroads-1 ... d=56006111

As far as the weight limit goes, as long as your not bouncing off gutters the bike will be fine.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:23 pm

monpar wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm
Any recommendations please...

Get a second hand mountain bike in a small size. Doesn't have to be female specific, since female specific bikes are more about marketing than any real benefit. Then take it to a bike shop and ask them to not only service the bike, but to re-tension the spokes and true the wheels. Wheels - specifically breaking spokes - are usually the biggest problem with heavier people. If the spoke tension is correct, this is less likely to happen. Then the total cost is more likely to be under $500 and you end up with a bike that shouldn't need readjusting/tuning /servicing repeatedly. If you want to save even more money, learn to do that work yourself.

As to what to get. Get a known bike brand bike that cost a lot more than $500 when new and preferably from this century. Although it doesn't have to be if it's a particularly good example.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 pm

Nobody wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:23 pm
Get a second hand mountain bike in a small size.
Sage advice ...As long as you don’t have neck or back issues.
If you do, look for something with “Dutch” geometry - bars well above seat height, well swept back (allowing you to sit with no weight one your neck or wrists) and preferably with the seat well back from the pedals. That helps keep the seat close to the ground while allowing you to straighten your knees while pedaling.

Something like this:

Ps ignore the lawyer induced “weight limit”nonsense. While cheap wheels die quickly under heavy use, there’s an (ex) 500lb guy in the USA doing off road (CX) racing on a standard bike.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 am

Thoglette wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 pm
If you do, look for something with “Dutch” geometry - bars well above seat height, well swept back (allowing you to sit with no weight one your neck or wrists) and preferably with the seat well back from the pedals. That helps keep the seat close to the ground while allowing you to straighten your knees while pedaling.

Yes, my wife didn't like the second hand mountain bike I bought her. So I bought her a hybrid and did a few mods to make it something she was more happy with. Mainly the high rise and sweep cruiser bars. The suspension seatpost was replaced with a standard seatpost and spring saddle, as in my opinion the spring saddle works better. The advantage of this setup over a Dutch style bike for a heavier woman is gearing range. Since Dutch style bikes are often minimally geared for flat terrain and usually more expensive than basic hybrids. Monpar could probably get a reasonable second hand hybrid for $250 and then add a cruiser bar for another $50 or so. Although beach cruiser bars can be harder to find.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:02 am

I have the feeling that the dutch style will be the way to go. Generally these are fairly robust steel bikes and the best value would be in a second hand however with the downside of potentially issues / repair costs.

Modern dutch bikes in the budget price range can be a bit feeble and somes look nice with bright colours but are poorly built.

I would not suggest a MTB even it it is value for money as the riding position is more sporty (aggressive) and this can significantly increase the weight and strain on you arms / wrists / hands.

The altenative however are the city bikes like the photo above and the notable difference in riding (except for colour and style) is that these bikes tend to have more gears.

The budget for a quality new bike with the helmet and lights will be a stretch... but look around and we can share feedback on the promising options.
Cycling is in my BNA

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:56 pm

There's a Tokyo Bike Bisou on ebay in Northcote, Vic right now (item 373553471770). That'd do nicely, if you're in Victoria.

(another image - ebay seems to be blocking this site, the one for sale is red)

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 am

Tokyo Bike are indeed fine bikes but best be wary of the models which run 650c wheelsets and tyres - my daughter has one and it has become very difficult to get the right sort of tyres for daily biking, so much so she bought a near new a giant cross city w2 until we work the best size wheelset to get to move away from 650c - thinking it will be 26 inch.
With 700c and 32 mm tyres and a triple crankset the cross city is not as zippy as the tokyo but for the past two months she has had it seems to be a good do it all daily bike, maybe worth a look if you can find one.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:20 pm

baabaa wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 am
it has become very difficult to get the right sort of tyres for daily biking,
Which size? (I get my 27” tyres from overseas so I know the pain)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:29 pm

baabaa wrote: Tokyo Bike are indeed fine bikes but best be wary of the models which run 650c wheelsets and tyres - my daughter has one and it has become very difficult to get the right sort of tyres for daily biking, so much so she bought a near new a giant cross city w2 until we work the best size wheelset to get to move away from 650c - thinking it will be 26 inch.
With 700c and 32 mm tyres and a triple crankset the cross city is not as zippy as the tokyo but for the past two months she has had it seems to be a good do it all daily bike, maybe worth a look if you can find one.
650C tyres almost exclusively come in 23mm width if you want new tyres. :cry:

I have heard of some 28s (Terrys?) but never seen them. The easiest available tyres are either the really crappy (CST, Duro etc) or the Vittoria Rubinos which are a little more racy than everyday tyres.

Pushy's have some Gatorskins at $60 each. At least you don't have to replace them too often...

Cheers,

Cameron

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Yup!
just put some 650c duros on to get by - I normally dont mind riding mid to lower end rubber but these are nothing flash. She started getting flats on some of Canberra's bike paths a week after I put them on so we went the new giant bike which I think was a good find and will suit as a daily trouble free ride.
New 26 inch wheels and maybe brakes calipers depending on the reach seem to be the answer as she loves riding her tokyo!

apatheticaf

Postby apatheticaf » Tue May 04, 2021 9:51 pm

1Rowdy1 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm
In your price range I would probably be looking at something like this.
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/collectio ... d-wsd-grey
I'd second the Reid! I scored a secondhand one on Gumtree when I was trying to figure out if regular commuting was a thing I could do. Definitely within your budget.

I briefly owned a Tokyobike until it was stolen and that's more than double what you're looking to spend. After a while I decided it hadn't been worth the spend.

And now I'm on another fantastic secondhand Gumtree buy, would definitely recommend that as an option for saving coin.