Gold Coast Riding

Fresh

Gold Coast Riding

Postby Fresh » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi all,

I am considering a permanent move from Sydney to the GC and I'm wondering what the riding is like? I am largely familiar with the area and the hinterland has some nice rolling roads, but how do people rate the cycling in general?

I ride both a roadie and a time trial bike - are there any long, flat, uninterrupted stretches of road with minimal traffic - or is that a pipe dream on the GC these days?

Cheers

A_P

Re: Gold Coast Riding

Postby A_P » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Team Sky spent a week here training before the TDU... spoilt for choice if you like hills.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:58 am

Lots of group rides from all areas of the Goldie. From noobs to wannabies to very regimented and some that venture into the Hinterland Hills. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

K2

Postby K2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Fresh wrote:<snip>
I ride both a roadie and a time trial bike - are there any long, flat, uninterrupted stretches of road with minimal traffic - or is that a pipe dream on the GC these days?
Hmmm. All those requirements are quite relative...

Northern end of the coast from Southport through Hope Island is very flat with the bridges over the waterways being about the highest points [depending on your route up to Paradise Point], and the narrowest. For the most part there's some decent stretches between lights too.

Turning north through Coomera and following the V1 route up towards Yatala/Beenleigh incorporates some smallish hills [no trouble for anyone of moderate bike fitness]. Despite generally following the M1 and all the development that is occurring beside it [which suggests that the years of peace may be numbered], there are a few sections where you still feel like you are getting away from it all. If memory serves, between Eagleby and the Hope Island turn off the only traffic lights are the newish ones at Foxwell Road [stupidly long cycle] and the immediately responsive ones near the old Whistle Stop. There are a few medium to large roundabouts to negotiate at the freeway over/underpasses but they're no problem early doors. You could also branch off through the back of Helensvale for an alternative, or head off towards Jacobs Well and surrounds if you love the smell of sugar cane in the morning. :)

I regularly ride down that section of the V1 route starting around first light of a weekend and could count the traffic in an 80k return ride in the tens rather than the hundreds. As per pretty much anywhere I guess, it gets considerably busier as the day progresses. It's quite a popular ride with both large and smaller groups, with heaps of pairs and individuals too coming from both directions as it's relatively flat and quiet [see above], and there are break down lanes for much of the way. Lots of folks aboard tri bikes [all horned beasts met are tri to me :oops: ] enjoying it too.

Bobstah

Postby Bobstah » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:25 am

Love the cycling here. I work in Brissy so do MT G and Cootha Repeats some mornings, but i live in Coomera/Pimpama right on Rifle Range road which means i have Hope island Road (flattest road ever) for any type of intervals, and then Mt Tamborine if i'm feeling hilly, and my local loop with can take in Baileys Mtn Road which is a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! short climb that hurts like hell, and I can cross over the freeway and ride around the canefields of Pimpama on the v1 or elsewhere.

I also race at Nerang so a short ride to there has some nice rolling hills and pretty much follows the M1 as a service road all the way south, so that's nice too.

Really am spoilt for choice.

Group rides, not sure, I know there's a Cycling Oxenford shop that does regular rides around pac pines etc, and Just Ride at Nerang has group rides also.

I also run a Knights of Suburbia ride in Brisbane (AT) 6am on Sunday mornings which is a recovery ride, no drop River Loop if you want to venture up to Brissy.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks for the advice, sounds like I have some good options. We're currently looking to settle around the Bundall / Robina areas which aren't too far away from the locations mentioned.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:16 am

I live near Bundall. The area north described by Bobstah I find better for riding. Early mornings and weekends are best for less traffic and stress if riding solo. Lots of quick to fast group rides 35+, not much on the slower social side of riding though <30kpm.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Usernoname wrote:I live near Bundall. The area north described by Bobstah I find better for riding. Early mornings and weekends are best for less traffic and stress if riding solo. Lots of quick to fast group rides 35+, not much on the slower social side of riding though <30kpm.
What routes do the >35 rides typically take?

A_P

Postby A_P » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Are you on strava?

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Check out this group - Caffene Riders https://www.facebook.com/groups/6038615 ... browse_new
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 pm

A_P wrote:Are you on strava?
Yep

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm

From Caffiene (AT) runaway bay 0530hr
Tues https://www.strava.com/segments/13515207 personally havent done this for a while.
Wed https://www.strava.com/segments/1058585 ... gender=all pace can vary week to week
Thurs https://www.strava.com/segments/13773419 Usually splits into 2 groups.
Cycle Ox have rides most days of the weeks from Oxenford (near Dreamworld) Facy https://www.facebook.com/cycle.ox/ Pace can vary as can group size
If your in Bundall then this is your closest climb https://www.strava.com/segments/13833730 fast group (AT) 5am tuesday
I have no idea what goes on down the southern end of the coast
You could ask here https://www.facebook.com/groups/goldcoastcombine/ or here https://www.facebook.com/ridegc/

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:35 pm

K2 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 pm
Fresh wrote:<snip>
Hmmm. All those requirements are quite relative...

Northern end of the coast from Southport through Hope Island is very flat with the bridges over the waterways being about the highest points [depending on your route up to Paradise Point], and the narrowest. For the most part there's some decent stretches between lights too.

Turning north through Coomera and following the V1 route up towards Yatala/Beenleigh incorporates some smallish hills [no trouble for anyone of moderate bike fitness]. Despite generally following the M1 and all the development that is occurring beside it [which suggests that the years of peace may be numbered], there are a few sections where you still feel like you are getting away from it all. If memory serves, between Eagleby and the Hope Island turn off the only traffic lights are the newish ones at Foxwell Road [stupidly long cycle] and the immediately responsive ones near the old Whistle Stop. There are a few medium to large roundabouts to negotiate at the freeway over/underpasses but they're no problem early doors. You could also branch off through the back of Helensvale for an alternative, or head off towards Jacobs Well and surrounds if you love the smell of sugar cane in the morning. :)

I regularly ride down that section of the V1 route starting around first light of a weekend and could count the traffic in an 80k return ride in the tens rather than the hundreds. As per pretty much anywhere I guess, it gets considerably busier as the day progresses. It's quite a popular ride with both large and smaller groups, with heaps of pairs and individuals too coming from both directions as it's relatively flat and quiet [see above], and there are break down lanes for much of the way. Lots of folks aboard tri bikes [all horned beasts met are tri to me :oops: ] enjoying it too.
Thanks...using Robina as the start, how does this https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Robina+ ... 786249!3e1look?

What is the V1 route?

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm

Another Q...anyone ridden from Brisbane or the GC to Byron Bay? Any recommended routes that do not include the M1?

Came up with this...has a brief M1 section over the Tweed river which looks unavoidable https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lakelan ... 473671!3e1

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Mallawa dr / Tahiti / Duringan St is safer through palm beach, stay off the gold coast highway
I think there is a pathway on the western side of the tweed river bridge that exits onto chindera bay rd. take Sexton Hill Dr.
Coolamon scenic drive from the highway to mullumbimby is ok unless you need to go through Brunswick.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 pm

A_P wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 pm
Mallawa dr / Tahiti / Duringan St is safer through palm beach, stay off the gold coast highway
I think there is a pathway on the western side of the tweed river bridge that exits onto chindera bay rd. take Sexton Hill Dr.
Coolamon scenic drive from the highway to mullumbimby is ok unless you need to go through Brunswick.
Good call on the bridge...I can see it on street view. Thanks.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:59 am

Fresh wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 pm
A_P wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 pm
Good call on the bridge...I can see it on street view. Thanks.
From Gold Coast to Byron Bay - at no stage do you have to use the Motorway.
As you say, the main Tweed river motorway bridge has a bikeway on its Western side, the difficulty is finding access to it if you are new to the area.
And be careful- the southern exit ramp is slippery in the wet (or after the wet)
Furthermore- a few km to the NORTH of this bridge is another significant motorway bridge (over Terranora inlet). Whatever you do- do NOT ride on this bridge ! Again there is a “secret” bikeway which is suspended underneath the motorway bridge. And which requires some research to find the on-ramp to this. And care not to hit your head on it if you are tall.
Of course the alternative to this Terranora inlet crossing is the older Minjungbal Drive road bridge which is only 2 km downstream. But Minjungbal drive is not a pleasant experience at the best of times and the experience of crossing using a structure that is suspended under the motorway is kind of fun, especially if it is hot or raining.
As always, Strava is useful to find some of these routes.
On Strava you will see that some people do ride the Motorway to Byron Bay.
I cannot see how that would be enjoyable (or safe) when there are alternative roads that may not be perfect but are mostly rather scenic. Cheers

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Is anyone riding between QLD & NSW? How are your experiences crossing the border? Are you getting stopped and asked for a border pass, or simply waived through?

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:40 am

Fresh wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Is anyone riding between QLD & NSW? How are your experiences crossing the border? Are you getting stopped and asked for a border pass, or simply waived through?
Done it a hundred times. Always just been waved through, except for once.
Safest to have a current border pass on your phone or in your pocket.
And a little bell on your bike because it is said to be a legal requirement in Queensland.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 pm

elantra wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:40 am
Fresh wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Done it a hundred times. Always just been waved through, except for once.
Safest to have a current border pass on your phone or in your pocket.
And a little bell on your bike because it is said to be a legal requirement in Queensland.

This has always been the case. We were required to have a bell when we raced in the 70's and they checked for it. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

weenielyf

Postby weenielyf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:32 pm

Does anyone know the details of bunch rides that meet up anywhere between Broadbeach and Burleigh? Looking for fast bunch rides