New single speed

Rabbitstew

New single speed

Postby Rabbitstew » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am

After not riding a bike for the last 7 years I went and bought a Malvern Star Oppy SF1. Iv always wanted a steel frame single speed and decided to get into some daily riding again. Only short rides down to the shops and some casual around town rides. 5km - 20km rides. Iv changed the standard pedals over to a old set of studded flats / platforms because that’s how I like to roll. Thinking of upgrading the seat to a Brooks B17 ASAP and Maybe a set of bullhorn handle bars In a few months. The standard gearing of 44 - 20 seems pretty good for me at the moment. Any advice or ideas on this please.

Thoglette

Re: New single speed

Postby Thoglette » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Rabbitstew wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am
Thinking of upgrading the seat to a Brooks B17 ASAP and Maybe a set of bullhorn handle bars In a few months. ... Any advice or ideas on this please.
Make sure a B17 will fit your behind, in the position you intend to ride at. I need the narrow (or pro) version on any bike with the bars below the seat or with a steep seat tube. Push the seat back and the bars up and a B17's fine. More drop and the swallow's looking the go.

There's still other options around in the suspended leather/rubber/plastic (from non-name clones through to San Marco to Berthoud) The main thing is ensuring it fits your anatomy (starting with the width of your sit bones)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Rabbitstew wrote:
Maybe a set of bullhorn handle bars In a few months.

Up to you, but they're a bit of a hangover from the fixie craze of the early noughts and don't really offer much in the way of comfortable hand positions.
Rabbitstew wrote:
The standard gearing of 44 - 20 seems pretty good for me at the moment.

I think that equates to about 60 gear inches. The magic number for most people is about 70, so you might find after a while you'll feel like you're spinning like crazy and not getting anywhere - easily fixed with a smaller cog or larger chainring though.

Looks like a decent machine, I think you'll enjoy cruising around on it.

Rabbitstew

Postby Rabbitstew » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 pm
Rabbitstew wrote:
Thinking of upgrading the seat to a Brooks B17 ASAP and Maybe a set of bullhorn handle bars In a few months. ... Any advice or ideas on this please.
Make sure a B17 will fit your behind, in the position you intend to ride at. I need the narrow (or pro) version on any bike with the bars below the seat or with a steep seat tube. Push the seat back and the bars up and a B17's fine. More drop and the swallow's looking the go.

There's still other options around in the suspended leather/rubber/plastic (from non-name clones through to San Marco to Berthoud) The main thing is ensuring it fits your anatomy (starting with the width of your sit bones)
Thanks Thoglette Il look at San Marco too. Il do a sit bone measure so I can get a good fit.

Rabbitstew

Postby Rabbitstew » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:23 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:12 pm
Rabbitstew wrote:

Up to you, but they're a bit of a hangover from the fixie craze of the early noughts and don't really offer much in the way of comfortable hand positions.
Rabbitstew wrote:
The standard gearing of 44 - 20 seems pretty good for me at the moment.

I think that equates to about 60 gear inches. The magic number for most people is about 70, so you might find after a while you'll feel like you're spinning like crazy and not getting anywhere - easily fixed with a smaller cog or larger chainring though.

Looks like a decent machine, I think you'll enjoy cruising around on it.
I thought the bullhorns might give me more options than the flat bars. The gearing is spinning like crazy on slight declines but good on the flats and hard in the inclines around my suburb. I know if I change now it will be to soon I need to build up some fitness and core before I change but Il keep your advice as a reference where to go with it. Thanks

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:51 am

Rabbitstew wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:23 pm
P!N20 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:12 pm
Rabbitstew wrote:
I thought the bullhorns might give me more options than the flat bars. The gearing is spinning like crazy on slight declines but good on the flats and hard in the inclines around my suburb. I know if I change now it will be to soon I need to build up some fitness and core before I change but Il keep your advice as a reference where to go with it. Thanks
Pretty sure Ergo drop gives the most usable hand positions. But bullhorn gives the most comfortable hand position when getting out of saddle. Hand gripping a solid straight bar pointing forward.

But extra effort needed to set it up, also depends on where you mount the brake levers. Because the tip of the bullhorn requires maximum reach, if you mount the brake levers there, you tire yourself out constantly staying at the aggressive position.

Some bullhorns come with drop, so you will need to think about the rise of the stem to balance it out. Consequently, it is quite tricky to a comfortable setup.

44 x 20 is quite low, but you are the only judge, you only pay for a rear cog to change anyway.