Deleted Startup.txt in Garmin 1030

rifraf

Deleted Startup.txt in Garmin 1030

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi,
I've given myself some grief with my edge unit.
I attempted to change my contact details within the startup so my details would show my new phone number and instead of 10 seconds they would show for 15 seconds.

Following DCRainmakers instructions I expected them not to change till the second startup.

Turns out instead of editing, I've managed to delete everything and now have an empty page.

Also in my panic I inadvertently double clicked on a box below the startup.txt which was uni_bckp.bin (I think) and now have both a file with
uni_bckp.bin and uni_bckp.bin.cpgz.

I'm unsure which one was the original and find myself in a pickle.

I've gone from having a start up with my contact details to now having nothing and I think an extra file.

Help :shock:

Its been one of those days and I attempted my edit without my glasses which I've now found.

I'm hoping someone can help me fix this - Cheers

PS I did a Device Reset hoping to fix it but have likely made things worse.

The only good news is I got the unit to now connect to my iPhone which it never seemed to like before and preferred my iPad.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Re: Deleted Startup.txt in Garmin 1030

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:33 pm

Just to clarify, the startup.txt page ended up outside of its normal position and empty.
I managed to drag it back to the Garmin box and it went to its usual position but remains empty.

I'm a little overtired so struggling to articulate this well.

When I say outside of its normal position I mean the startup.txt file ended up in the position of when you connect the unit to a MacBook and double click on the Garmin icon that appears on the screen.
A page appears with three items: autorun.inf and Garmin and a URL line "Get Started with Garmin........"
The startup.txt ended up from within the Garmin file to beside the three items mentioned above.

I dragged and dropped it back into the Garmin file box and it took itself to whence it came albeit empty as it was when I found it.

Must be getting old as I've edited the startup.txt on my previous 800 and 1000 and this 1030 before successfully.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Aidan, startup.txt is exactly that - a text file. It can be edited with any text editor, so you can edit it with the TextEdit app on your Macbook.
It only needs to include the display time setting and your message.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:36 pm

RonK wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:49 pm
Aidan, startup.txt is exactly that - a text file. It can be edited with any text editor, so you can edit it with the TextEdit app on your Macbook.
It only needs to include the display time setting and your message.
Hi Ron,
Yeah, I've done it multiple times given this is my third Edge unit.
Getting dottery in my dotage.

Somehow I've managed to delete everything.
There is nothing at all on that text file ie there is nothing to edit given the page is completely blank.
I've no idea how I achieved it. :oops:

The silver lining is that the stress of it got me out for a much overdue ride to relieve the anxiety of it.
Not huge at only 8km but given its night and many of the local drivers being fairly feral in this neck of the woods, its a good start.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:17 pm

Ok, I've worked out what to put on the startup.txt file to get my message up and working.

I've not just got to work out which of those bin files I might need to delete.
I'm suspecting at this time it might be the cpgz one, but I'll try contacting Garmin Support tomorrow before I do any deleting to confirm.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:10 pm

Is a reset an option? This doesn't delete user data / settings.
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... BE59E.html

You can also look up firmware reset or restore to factory settings though some of these are typically triggered inside the menu.
Cycling is in my BNA

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:38 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:10 pm
Is a reset an option? This doesn't delete user data / settings.
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... BE59E.html

You can also look up firmware reset or restore to factory settings though some of these are typically triggered inside the menu.
rifraf wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:18 pm

PS I did a Device Reset hoping to fix it but have likely made things worse.
Hi Chris,
I did one early in the piece but it didn't do anything with regards the bin file.

The unit does appear to be working fine and I now have my new contact details appearing for 20 seconds on startup.

All that remains is for me to contact Garmin to determine which one of those bin files to delete.

I'm just currently unsure which is the copy.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 am

Just leave them both there if it's working.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm

RonK wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 am
Just leave them both there if it's working.
Garmin NZ concur with your analysis :)

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:41 pm

If you ever FUBAR a Garmin device, or you want to revert to an earlier version of the firmware, the following site has helped me:
http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html

As a general rule, I'd be wary of letting Garmin devices mount on Macintosh computers. The Macs are notorious for spraying hidden files around on any USB storage that you mount. Garmin bike computers are flaky enough, without letting a computer start modifying their file system.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Shred11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:41 pm
As a general rule, I'd be wary of letting Garmin devices mount on Macintosh computers. The Macs are notorious for spraying hidden files around on any USB storage that you mount.
I’ve using my Macs to Garmin devices for many years. This has never happened.

MacOS is not anything like Windows. It does not randomly write hidden files all over the place.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:14 am

Shred11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:41 pm
If you ever FUBAR a Garmin device, or you want to revert to an earlier version of the firmware, the following site has helped me:
http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html

As a general rule, I'd be wary of letting Garmin devices mount on Macintosh computers. The Macs are notorious for spraying hidden files around on any USB storage that you mount. Garmin bike computers are flaky enough, without letting a computer start modifying their file system.

I use a Garmin with two Mac computers daily for many years and have never had this happen.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:48 am

I've had way more problems over the last 12 months with a new Windows 10 computer and Garmin devices than I ever had using the old Mac.
Windows still won't recognise my old Edge 800 at times and won't "safely remove" any of them properly, quite often feezing-up the whole system.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:36 pm

RonK wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:52 pm
MacOS is not anything like Windows. It does not randomly write hidden files all over the place.
I'm not saying that Windows is much better, but the phenomenon of Macs creating hidden files and directories on USB mass storage devices is well known and well documented. It's such a common irritation that you can even buy a utility to scrape all the rubbish off:

http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Tim wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:48 am
I've had way more problems over the last 12 months with a new Windows 10 computer and Garmin devices than I ever had using the old Mac.
Windows still won't recognise my old Edge 800 at times and won't "safely remove" any of them properly, quite often feezing-up the whole system.
Funny you mention this as I had similar issues with my MacBook Air and Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch.
Stopped recognising it after about a couple of months.
Garmin kindly sent me a new usb download/charge cable very promptly at no charge, but it made no difference.
Their next suggestion was deleting their software but the process was way above my pay grade necessitating removal of directory files which I would have to search for myself.
Sounded like a disaster waiting to happen to me so I passed.
I can still do the regular firmware updates/downloads etc via my phone so all is not lost and I can still utilise the watch, but it will be my last Garmin purchase is what I've been thinking despite looking somewhat enviously at the version 4 which you can play music with, which I thought an attractive proposition. :D

On another note, the Edge 1030 seems to be working fine, touch wood