2002 Giant TCR 2 service manual sought

Ray-leigh

2002 Giant TCR 2 service manual sought

Postby Ray-leigh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:11 am

Does anyone happen to know where I can source a copy of a 2002 Giant TCR 2 service/workshop manual? I'd like to learn how to service my own bikes from now on. Thanks everyone.

Tim

Re: 2002 Giant TCR 2 service manual sought

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 pm

I don't think such a manual exists.
Most bike manufacturers supply a basic owner's manual but none I'm aware of do a service manual specific to one bike.
Most repair, service and adjustment procedures apply across many other makes and models.
You're best off making use of resources such as;
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
https://si.shimano.com/#/

There are thousands of other reference sources. Just search "bicycle service schedule".

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 pm

You won't find one.
There is nothing particularly unique about the TCR of that vintage (except for the awful "crocodile jaw" adjustable stem, which hopefully someone between 2002 & now replaced with a normal fixed stem)), so any general bike service guide will tell you what you need to know. the bike would have come with a very generic owner's manual, which has only had minor tweaks in the ensuing 17 years, and a bunch of barely more specific leaflets for the various Shimano bits bolted to it.

The Shimano tech docs site linked above has a quite comprehensive archive of older-model products, but I haven't checked exactly how far back it goes; '02 might be a bit too old. The fundamentals don't change that much, so tech guides for more recent series will still be pretty valid.
Last edited by Duck! on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:48 pm

What they said. All the owners manuals I’ve seen for bikes are next to worthless for servicing, even the paper is too shiny to wipe grease off stuff.

Get your google on. There are a gazillion videos on YouTube for servicing bikes. RJ the bike guy and oz cycle are two that I find reasonable to watch. Decent camera work, descriptive etc.

If you are a bit more old school Zinn art of bike maintenance books are apparently pretty good.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.