2020 February Ride - the George Town Gambol

BenevolantDictatorD

2020 February Ride - the George Town Gambol

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:09 pm

The 2020 February Training Ride
“The George Town Gambol”

What is it?
This year sees a bit of a change to the standard three day format for the February Ride. We will still have the “normal” ride over three days but I’ve added in a couple of extra rides beforehand for those with the time and inclination.
So, in 2020 the three day February training ride will be held over the long weekend on Sat 8th, Sun 9th and Monday 10th with extra rides on Thursday the 6th and Friday the 7th.
The bunch ride/s is/are a training/endurance ride for cyclists a bit like a fondo but with regrouping. It is not a fund raising, charity or profit-making venture for anyone. It is about riding in new and different locations in a normal bunch ride environment. You choose (and cover) your standards of accommodation and there is no commitment required on your part – basically like any bunch ride.

This will be our 19th edition of the February Ride so we have been having fun for a while now. This year we have another challenge, or series of challenges, for everyone. The basic plan for this year is that we centre our rides out of George Town. The details are a bit further down with the “challenge ride” on the Sunday as normal.

How does it work?
The annual February bunch ride is a chance to get some solid miles in the legs in good weather in good company. Over the journey we have covered most of the paved roads in Tassie and a few gravel ones as well. This year will fill in a few gaps in the north.

We do an extended version every four years with a seven day trip around the state. The next one is due in 2021. Last year we spent three wet but enjoyable days on the west coast. For those choosing a single day there is a variety of challenge rides to choose from and for those doing multiple days there is a series of rides that will test you.

Our ride is very loosely organised. Again, just like any bunch ride, you choose what and how much you want to do. There is usually a good range of rider standards so there is usually someone to ride along with. I just set the daily start and stop points and riders work out what they want to do in between. Some ride all the way – some ride part of the way or on some days only – your choice.

You bring yourself, your bike, your spares, and organise your own food and accommodation whether that be for yourself or with others. If you cannot make the whole journey that is fine - as long as you sort out your transport side of things – again just like any normal bunch ride.

Whilst that is the basic level of administration there are a variety of layers involved. Some riders may want to share a lift and some may want to share accommodation. As we go through the process I can help with putting you in touch with others with the same needs. You can then sort it out with them.

When?
Thursday the 6th to Monday the 10th of Feb (the 10th is Royal Hobart Regatta Day).

How many?
As many riders as would like to come along are welcome to join in. As you can see there is no great administration load for me and you look after your own costs. Since the first ride in 2002 we have had between 10 and 25 riders along. Over the last few years with the increased challenge factor we had around 20 on the road most days.

Where?
Thu 6th: George Town – Greens Beach – George Town 116km + 1300m climbing
Fri 7th: George Town – Flowery Gully - George Town 103km + 1350m climbing
Sat 8th George Town – northern beaches – Lilydale – G/T 160km + 1700m climbing
Sun 9th: George Town – Launceston – Scottsdale – G/T 201km + 2900m climbing
Mon 10th: George Town – Scottsdale – Bridport – G/T 150km + 1200m climbing
730km + 8500m climbing

Thursday sees us start from Tamar Cakes is Macquarie St George Town. This looks like it opens early and sells cakes and coffee – winner. Start time will be 11am for those travelling up from the south. We head south, over the Batman Bridge and then onto the West Tamar Highway and straight through to Greens Beach. The return journey adds in C722 for a cruise around Clarence Point and the A7 for a look at Ilfraville and Beauty Point. A small detour along Valley Road towards the Batman will give us a bit of a look at the back blocks. Back onto the Batman Highway and through to George Town. Plenty of options for coffees on the way. This can be a cruisy ride or a full-paced hit out depending on how people feel. We don’t get above 100m the whole journey.
Friday morning and 11am start again from our regular start point. Over the Batman again with a left turn straight after the bridge and down through Deviot to the highway and north to Exeter. We are then on Winkleigh Road C717 to Winkleigh and then over the hill to Flowery Gully. A bit of a detour on Denmans Road dirt for 3kms gets us onto Holwell Road C715 and through to the top end of Beaconsfield.
Next it’s up Grubb Street and past my early-days home and then out through Kayena, back to the Batman and then George Town.
Saturday morning kicks off at 11:00 from Tamar Cakes once again. This is another exploring day as we head south and then onto Bridport Road B82. Left onto C807 and out to Beechford to have a look at the beach. We reverse for a back to Bridport Road and then on the C816 Weymouth Road to Lulworth and Weymouth. Back to Pipers River and south on Pipers River Road B83 to a left turn onto Bangor Road C811, Second River Road C811 to Golconda Road B81 and Lilydale for coffee.
Off again on Lalla Road C822, right onto Karoola Road C823, right onto Pipers River Road B83, left onto Old Bangor Tram Road C812, right onto Dalrymple Road C809 all the way back to Bridport Road and George Town. 160kms and 1700m climbing with the maximum elevation of just over 200m at Lilydale.

Sunday is usually the big day and this one won’t disappoint. We have 200kms on main roads leaving Tamar Cakes at 8:30 heading south on the East Tamar Highway A8 to Launceston. We avoid the main city centre by turning onto George Town Road B81 before Rocherlea. George Town Road becomes Invermay Road and before we turn onto Vermont Road at the Mowbray Hotel we’ll stop for a coffee. 50kms down. At the end of Vermont Road we turn left onto Lambert St and then right onto Faraday St. This becomes Naroo St which gets us onto the Tasman Highway A3 and the ride up the Sidling to Scottsdale. A quick stop for a second coffee in Scottsdale at the Cottage Bakery in Victoria St with 110kms in our legs.
Off again up Victoria St, left and right and we’re on William St/Golconda Road B81 which gets us to Lilydale for that third important coffee at 150kms.
Out of town and right onto Lalla Road C822 gets us across to a right onto Karoola Road C823 through to Pipers River Road B83. From there we head north to Bridport Road B82 and left to George Town for 200kms and 2900m of climbing.

Monday is wind down day with an easy trundle out to Scottsdale and Bridport and back for a final 150kms. Its straight out Bridport Road B82 to Pipers River Road C818 And then left on Golconda Road B821 to Scottsdale and coffee at the Bakery again. Out of Scottsdale and off to Bridport on Bridport Road B84 to a café near the roundabout in the town. From there it’s a trundle into the headwind back to George Town on the B82.

Accommodation?
There is a caravan/cabin park in Low Head just a bit north of George Town and plenty of other options in George Town itself. There are also plenty of other options as far afield as Launceston depending on your transport arrangements.

Food?
The normal process for determining a February Ride is to pick out the coffee shops first and then pick the route accordingly. Most of those have been covered in the route descriptions above.
I expect we will meet up for evening meals somewhere in town each night. We’ll do some research on that as we get closer to ride days.

Support Vehicle?
Most years we have a support vehicle towing a lockable covered trailer to get your gear from place to place. However with the years that we do a town-based ride there generally isn’t a need for a sag wagon so no plans for one this year.

Costs?
All the costs are up to you. This is probably why the ride has continued for so long.
If you change your mind the day before the ride the only problem you have is if you have booked accommodation already. Similarly if you decide on the day before the ride starts that you want to come along the only issue is your accommodation and transport.

What next?
Whilst there is generally no administration there is always administration!
The resoundingly common first question I get is “how many people are coming?” The second question I get is whether there is someone of their standard riding – to ride with.
To deal with those questions I keep a list of anyone interested so that I can keep in contact and answer any questions as they come up. The list is private and I send out an email to those on the list in a blind copy. There is no commitment expected from anyone – if you turn up all the better – if you don’t we’ll have a good ride anyway.
I will keep the course details on a Strava ride with the maps of the various days riding. It will be listed mainly in the PCCC group but may be shared on others.
I also keep details on the Bicycles Network site at bicycles.net.au in the forum section under “Tasmania” in a blog called “The February Ride – the George Town Gambol”. I’ll keep that up to date with as much info as I can
So – if you are interested, or want to be included on the update list, you should send me your email details and what you are expecting in terms of involvement. I will send out updates as we count down to start day. If there are any questions feel free to contact me by email or give me a call.

So – where are you going again???
I have drawn up the routes and used Strava as the base. For those not on Strava.com just sign up and join the PCCC group and you will have access to the courses with maps and elevations. Quite handy really but for most of it you probably don’t really want to know!!

What else?
That’s it for now. This is the second version of the route. I’ve checked a few of the roads on Google maps and have taken out most of the dirt. If there’s anything you need in the way of information you can find me on the contacts below.

Dale Carney mobile 0400 985 333
daleandrewcarney@gmail.com