Is Zwift my solution?

master6

Is Zwift my solution?

Postby master6 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:08 am

I need some guidance in coming up to speed with modern technology.
My present position is:-
Age 70
Racing since the 1950's (ceased 2012)
Have 2 road bikes.
Have old laptop with windows 7
Have Opel phone that I use for phone calls and sms
Phone costs $35 per month with Telstra
Dodo wireless mobile internet gives me 6Gig for $24.90 per month. I have a dongle plugged to the computer.
Bikes have simple cheap computers that record a few basics like distance, speed, time, average speed, odometer.

Reason for this post is that I reckon I have pushed my luck far enough on the roads, and my wife has a deteriorating health condition requiring some assistance from me. This need will increase. She is susceptible to falls, so I do not want to leave her at home alone any more than absolutely necessary. A serious accident for me would almost certainly put my wife into outside care.

I need to keep myself fit and healthy, and after scoffing at Zwift and strava for some time, I have come around to thinking that Zwift might be for me.

Question is, what do you recommend in gear to get myself going on Zwift?

Tim

Re: Is Zwift my solution?

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:57 pm

About 2 years ago I was in a very similar situation to you. Caring for my aged, unwell (cancer and dementia) and frail Mum. Unwilling to leave the house for extended periods of time and afraid that a serious injury (to me or her) would see her moved to an aged care home.
I looked after her till she passed away at home last year. :(
Though I still rode outdoors either very early a.m. or later at night, riding Zwift became very important to my physical and mental wellbeing.

This thread has some ideas;
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... ilit=zwift

I went the whole hog and bought a direct-drive (rear wheel off) smart trainer and a fancy high end, powerful (both processing and graphics) laptop.
A couple of sundry items such as a hospital type over-bed table for the computer and a fan completed the kit.
I doubt your older computer has the power to run Zwift effectively, I could be wrong. Zwift is fairly demanding on computer graphics and processing power but not so much on internet speed and allowance. More tech savvy members could clarify this for you.
There are cheaper options. Namely Apple TV plugged into a relatively modern TV ie. any TV with an HDMI connection. You may need a slightly more sophisticated internet connection with a modem/router for wireless communication to and from the Apple TV box.
I signed up to an Optus mobile broadband plan (not NBN) giving me 200Gb for $60.00/month including the modem/router. It works very well, is fast and reliable, unlike the NBN.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:27 pm

+ 1 Agree with Tim. Definitely worth investing in a smart trainer if your budget will stretch that far - think of it as an investment, it will see you through the next 10 years of enjoying cycling. A smart trainer makes the experience on Zwift very immersive and realistic. You might pick up a cheap one second hand via Gumtree etc.. I think you might need to check if Zwift will run on Win 7.

I’d also recommend linking the laptop via an HDMI cable to a larger screen. This will give you a much better visual experience. You can pick up a fairly good screen for a few hundred dollars, or recycle a desk top screen you might have. My screen came from a council cleanup. I use some old storage crates and an old electric piano stand to mount the screen and a couple of fans in front of my bike.

The other thing I’d recommend if you can is to have a dedicated Zwift spot in the house or garage, with your Zwifting gear set up. With 2 bikes, one can be permanently mounted on the trainer. This makes it really easy to slot in a Zwift session when you have a free moment without set up delays.

You can start Zwifting with the basic set up, and build from there. Lots of guidance on the Zwift website and YouTube.

Hope that helps.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:35 pm

There is a full topic on this: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 43&t=96789

A direct drive smart trainer would be the go. Find a laptop that can run Zwift. Big TV screens are a lot cheaper now too - connect to them with HDMI cable.

Laptops: https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/gaming-pc/ ... e-products
The table for a laptop is easy and cheap: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60242176/
Smart trainer: Tacx Neo is superb, I've used one for a long time now.

Get yourself a good fan too: https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-75cm- ... n_p4442027

Bunnings used to sell those fans with remote controls as well. I have one like that. Great for cooling and not excessively loud.

Put some mats down underneath the trainer, those rubber mats are good - especially for mopping up any sweat.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm

An Apple TV 4th or 5th generation is quite capable of running Zwift and costs under $200. Connect it to any recent TV. Cheaper than a dedicated laptop or iPad.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 am

hamishm wrote:An Apple TV 4th or 5th generation is quite capable of running Zwift and costs under $200. Connect it to any recent TV. Cheaper than a dedicated laptop or iPad.
Yep, despite the fact I don't like Apple, this would be the cheapest way, as the old laptop will not run the program. Otherwise, get an iPad and tV cable.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL