North to Alaska!

uad782

North to Alaska!

Postby uad782 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I am considering heading over to Alaska this year for a couple of weeks. Either this or another 1000 odd km of the GDMBR.

Thinking of flying into/out of Anchorage. Bus to start of Richardson Hwy - on to Denali Hwy then to Denali NP road. This is probably only around 500km. Keen to doanother 300-500km.

I am not sure where to go to from here. Would like to do the Dalton Hwy but probably don't have the time or guts. Happy to mix it with Grizzlies and brown bears but not polar bears.

Any advice appreciated, including facebook pages/websites with more ideas.

Thanks

Waccofozzy

Re: North to Alaska!

Postby Waccofozzy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm

I hope you have a great time no matter where you ride, it's a beautiful part of the world, particularly the bit near Valdez and from memory with good shoulders for cycling. First day or so through the region I was taken with the dirt "bike path" alongside the highways which turned out to be the ATV trail. They like their ATVs.

Having had a Grizzly Bear cross the road in front of my car in Denali National Park, there isn't enough bear spray in the world to allow me to cycle anywhere up there (in Summer at least). The Moose are worse apparently.

Mandatory trip report when you get back too!
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Many years ago travelled thru Alaska ferry/bus did some back country canoeing with a couple of other back packers.
Met a few Alasakans in the forest and they all carried sidearms. Maybe some repellent spray for bears/mountain lions.
Definitely want to watch out for the moose!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Waccofozzy wrote:The Moose are worse apparently.
You mean like this! :shock:

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

uad782

Postby uad782 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Thanks Ron,

Maybe I will stay home. I did part of the GDMBR last year and rode through the area which has the highest population of bears per square km. I didn’t see any. I only saw one black bear, a few days later, which ran across a track about 100 m in front of me.

I don’t hear of too many people being taken by bears. I think the moose are worse. But then I’ve been attacked by a wild cow here in Grafton!

Planing to fly to Anchorage, bus to near Denali hwy. ride it and Denali park. Then maybe ride back to Fairbanks and catch scenic train back to anchorage. Have to save the Dalton Hwy for another day.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:33 pm

No bears on the Carretera Austral Scott. :lol:

But landscape every bit as spectacular.

You'll thank me when you've done it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...