Polygiene Experiences?

Aushiker

Polygiene Experiences?

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 pm

In the market for new touring shirts and given I tend to tour in more remote locations where washing of clothes is a weekly chore rather than more frequently and given I prefer to not have to carry spare clothes I am investigating stink free options. Of course merino such as Icebreaker's Cool-Lite is one option but they don't do long sleeve t-shirts.

Anyway in my search I have come across Polygiene which it seems quite a few manufacturers are now using their product. I have only found one "review" at Gear Junkie and Steve was pretty positive.

I am wondering therefore if anyone here has experience with garments treated with Polygiene and what your experience has been.

Thanks in advance.

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Polygiene Experiences?

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:24 am

Never heard of it be interesting to hear just how well it works my sceptical side of me says it doesn't or not as good as they claim it does. If it works as well as they say it does why haven't they produced a bottle that you can self do your own choice of clothing. I don't know Andrew this has more marketing hype all over it than I like to see.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:57 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Never heard of it be interesting to hear just how well it works my sceptical side of me says it doesn't or not as good as they claim it does. If it works as well as they say it does why haven't they produced a bottle that you can self do your own choice of clothing. I don't know Andrew this has more marketing hype all over it than I like to see.
Going from a post over at Backpacking Light forums in 2014 you could buy it to treat your own clothes but that option does not appear to be available now.

I haven't been able to find much since that 2014 forum thread and the gear junkie post. That said there seems to be more and more brands coming on board so the marketing at least is working :)

I need a couple of new tops anyway so will give a shot and see how it pans out.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:46 am

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Never heard of it be interesting to hear just how well it works my sceptical side of me says it doesn't or not as good as they claim it does. If it works as well as they say it does why haven't they produced a bottle that you can self do your own choice of clothing. I don't know Andrew this has more marketing hype all over it than I like to see.
Going from a post over at Backpacking Light forums in 2014 you could buy it to treat your own clothes but that option does not appear to be available now.

I haven't been able to find much since that 2014 forum thread and the gear junkie post. That said there seems to be more and more brands coming on board so the marketing at least is working :)

I need a couple of new tops anyway so will give a shot and see how it pans out.
Andrew I read what gear junkie had to say but this like you said has been out a long time now and it's the first I have heard of it but that isn't uncommon with me. Is it a placebo effect there just doesn't seem to be hard facts of folks supporting the claims. If it's that good why is it not in work wear etc the market for it could be huge but from all accounts it seems like it's pointed at cold weather clothing, which sort of in my opinion doesn't really stack up to it working as they claim.

If you do get it I would really like to hear your opinion on it because I know when I spend time touring I don't see a wash tub for days or weeks and me sweating like a dog doesn't help. You pass around a stinky shirt after a week in the bush touring and I can't smell myself I've had to live with it as you become used to it same goes for groups in most cases. I saw the list of companies on board with Polygiene and I'm gob smacked the amount but never heard of it.

I'm just not convinced and if I have already purchased products using this and I don't know it then it doesn't work.

Interesting that a bottle of self wash Polygiene was able to be purchased but no longer is available tells me something.

Looks like Andrew your our Ginny pig if you go ahead with it.

Ricky

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:19 pm

I have Arcteryx base layers which use this (http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?la ... T-Zip-Neck). Haven't cycled in one but have done multi-day bushwalks which have the same issues. I love them and personally think they beat merino hands down for their wicking properties and haven't noticed any real odour problem (but then I probably wouldn't if I'm the one who smells :D ). The other benefit is you can rinse them and they dry quicker than merino plus all my merino stuff gets holes in it really quickly.
I'm sold on it but how much of that is due to the way Arcteryx make their stuff compared to other brands I don't know.

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Aushiker wrote: Of course merino such as Icebreaker's Cool-Lite is one option but they don't do long sleeve t-shirts.
Ground effect do them.

There's also a bunch of people (including Scody) doing "silver impregnated antibacterial" synthetics. YMMV
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Of course merino such as Icebreaker's Cool-Lite is one option but they don't do long sleeve t-shirts.
Ground effect do them.
Yes but they are winter tops ... I probably should have been clearer but my reference to Cool-Lite was a reference to summer tops. Unless I have missed something Ground Effect don't do merino summer jerseys. The Rock Lobster which I have is Heatwave material. It works pretty well but I wouldn't say it goes a week.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm

AndyRevill wrote:I have Arcteryx base layers which use this (http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?la ... T-Zip-Neck). Haven't cycled in one but have done multi-day bushwalks which have the same issues. I love them and personally think they beat merino hands down for their wicking properties and haven't noticed any real odour problem (but then I probably wouldn't if I'm the one who smells :D ). The other benefit is you can rinse them and they dry quicker than merino plus all my merino stuff gets holes in it really quickly.
I'm sold on it but how much of that is due to the way Arcteryx make their stuff compared to other brands I don't know.
Excellent thanks Andy. This is the sort of experience I was hoping for. I currently have a Outdoor Research Echo Long Sleeved Zip Tee at the top of my short list. Another option is the RAB Dryflo 80 Long sleeved teeor similar short sleeved options maybe as a second top.

Anyway if they don't work out as well as I hope as long-distance cycling tops they should be okay on shorter tours, bushwalking and as running tops.

Will also check out the Arcteryx offerings given your heads-up.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:11 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Interesting that a bottle of self wash Polygiene was able to be purchased but no longer is available tells me something.
I stand corrected. It can be purchased as a "wash in" product and even in Australia online and via local stockists ...

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Interesting that a bottle of self wash Polygiene was able to be purchased but no longer is available tells me something.
I stand corrected. It can be purchased as a "wash in" product and even in Australia online and via local stockists ...

Ah thanks Andrew I'm going to eat crow and purchase some of this giving it a go it's not that expensive to give a set of cloths a dose even if it's only good for about 6-8 wash cycles. I'm going to give some cotton polyester clothes a try so I'm not mixing the evaporation properties of wicking cloths which in my opinion do a darn good job of keeping stench at bay anyway for extended times.

Thanks Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Get real they want $20.00 shipping for a 100ml bottle just contacted them over the phone but like everything here in Oz got a message bank will wait for a return call now.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Just getting better hit the list of stockiest in my state listed on Gam Solutions web site rang 3 and none have heard of the product nor stock it had to explain to them what it was and did. I'm not paying 20 bills for shipping that is highway robbery.

Ricky

pbekkerh

Postby pbekkerh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 pm

The permanent treatment is applied at the finishing stages of textile production and field and lab tests show a high level of odor control beyond the usual lifespan of a garment. This lifespan odor control is possible as the technology is bound and permanently integrated in the fabric and will not wash out.

Polygiene silver salt technology is only active on the textiles itself and with a heritage in the healthcare sector Polygiene has applied its expertise and testing to ensure that there is no affect on the natural bacterial flora of the skin. Polygiene is not nanosilver.
I would be sceptical of the wash in stuff. The treated clothes they sell now are supposed to keep permanently and not wash out, so it can't be the same as the wash in.
Ghost SE7000
PlanetX Exocet
Colnago Sprint 1986
Solio 1910
Boreas Aër 2003
Bike Friday Tikit
Trailer Extrawheel I & II

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:46 am

pbekkerh wrote:
The permanent treatment is applied at the finishing stages of textile production and field and lab tests show a high level of odor control beyond the usual lifespan of a garment. This lifespan odor control is possible as the technology is bound and permanently integrated in the fabric and will not wash out.

Polygiene silver salt technology is only active on the textiles itself and with a heritage in the healthcare sector Polygiene has applied its expertise and testing to ensure that there is no affect on the natural bacterial flora of the skin. Polygiene is not nanosilver.
I would be sceptical of the wash in stuff. The treated clothes they sell now are supposed to keep permanently and not wash out, so it can't be the same as the wash in.
You are correct I would say that the wash in product due to price isn't the same as the factory product being used to do rolls of cloth before garments are made. I just realised I do own a pair of shoes NB that is on there partners list and my shoes are 6 months old so if there treated with this product it doesn't work for shoes anyway.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Well they haven't got back to me so another Australia import company that doesn't give a rats ass.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Well they haven't got back to me so another Australia import company that doesn't give a rats ass.
I suggest dropping Polygiene an email letting them of your experience and the damage to their brand. They may well come to the party.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Well they haven't got back to me so another Australia import company that doesn't give a rats ass.
I suggest dropping Polygiene an email letting them of your experience and the damage to their brand. They may well come to the party.
Done

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:44 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ricky
Please keep us posted. They seem pretty responsive back in 2014 going by a BPL post so lets hope they still have the same attitude.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:51 am

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ricky
Please keep us posted. They seem pretty responsive back in 2014 going by a BPL post so lets hope they still have the same attitude.
Will do I contacted corporate so I hope to hear back from them at least still no word from Gam Solutions in Oz.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:11 am

No return email from corporate so I can only say it seems like all are tainted with the same brush that I have dealt with.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:14 pm

My test wear of a polygiene garment arrived today, a Outdoor Research Echo Long Sleeved Duo Tee. It has a nice feel to the material, sizing is good and the weight is nice too at 109 grams. Packs down nicely. This will be my back up top on my week long Holland Track ride late September. It is likely to get worn for about three days.

My other top on the ride is a long sleeved Icebreaker Aero Long Sleeve Crewe which is a 120 weight merino wool top. As it weighs more than the Outdoor Research top it will get more use.

I will update once the ride is over.