Magnetic Island

LG

Magnetic Island

Postby LG » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:31 pm

I will be spending a week on Magnetic Island during April with the extended inlaws segment of the family. Looking to do some riding as a bit of an escape and there appears to be a couple hire places with semi decent bikes. Never having been there, I was just wondering if there is anything in particular it would be good to know about the place before we travel?

I already understand the heat may nearly kill me!
LG = Low Gear

foo on patrol

Re: Magnetic Island

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:52 pm

April heat will be ok but make sure that you are well dosed up on vitamin B, if you have bad reactions to Sandflies, because they are nasty up NQ way. :idea: The Sandflies there, are different to SEQ, I know, because I was a mess when I went up there, many moons ago. :( :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:46 pm

Magnetic island should be OK in April. The worst of the heat will have past.
Its a fairly small island with very basic narrow roads, a mountain bike or hybrid would probably be more appropriate than a road bike.

The beaches are lovely and under-rated, much nicer that most of the beaches in the Whitsundays.
Its probably more of a walking destination than a cycling one.
Wildlife is plentiful, including Koalas and Echidnas.
But it may not be advisable to get in the water in April because of marine stingers. Staying somewhere with a swim pool might be advisable.

If you have any spare time on the mainland there is some nice cycling as well.
Castle Hill is a nice ride near the centre of Townsville
And an hours drive north on highway is the turnoff to Paluma. That is a nice long climb with some great scenery.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks for the info, anything over 25 deg is generally hot for me, so will be interesting :lol: Sandflys, stingers - sounds like a lovely place. A hybrid bike for cruising sounds good, seems like hire options for them are easy to come by.

Unfortunately won't have time for riding in Townsville before or after.
LG = Low Gear

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:19 pm

LG wrote:Thanks for the info, anything over 25 deg is generally hot for me, so will be interesting :lol: Sandflys, stingers - sounds like a lovely place. A hybrid bike for cruising sounds good, seems like hire options for them are easy to come by.

Unfortunately won't have time for riding in Townsville before or after.
Good luck with the heat, it's still 30 deg on the Gold Coast atm. Looking forward to a cool change.....
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.