malvern star

stevendavid75

malvern star

Postby stevendavid75 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 am

Ok, I have been wondering for some time now about Malvern Star (MS) bikes.

I have a number of Aus bike Mags from the 70's and 80's and I see lot of MS's in them, both track and road, but these days I very rarely see a top end post 5star MS about either for sale or in general collection.

So I ask were the MS bikes ridden by the likes Sutton, Bishop, Tucker, Nichols, etc actually MS?
I remember reading something in a old aus mag a while back that McBain or someother tassie builder built the 753 olympic bikes?

I see the track bike that Kenrick Tucker rides has moscow 80 on the top tube, I have seen other yellow MS with moscow 80 on the top but these appear to be pretty basic bikes

Anyway, just wondering??

djo

Re: malvern star

Postby djo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:51 pm

I have just noticed your discussion on Malvern Star Moscow 80 bicycles used during the Moscow Olympic Games. Following the Olympic Games I purchased a spare frame from Bob Hines and still have the frame less original decals as they were removed as frame was repaired a few times and left as a blank frame. I am building it up with my original group set I had on it during the 1980's the only problem is that an original image of one of these bike during that time is rare. One picture I have from National Cycling shows a MS decal on the down tube and that is it. I would like to find some images that show the frames with there decals.
Can you help with images?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:11 am

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8071&hilit=whitehorn

Maybe PM V&N for more info.

dubrat

Postby dubrat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Here is one of the Moscow Olympics track frames ridden by Steele Bishop. I have been in contact with McBain Cycles and they have confirmed that they did indeed build these frames for the 1980 Moscow Olympics they were made by both Kevin Mcbain and Frank McCallum

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 am

Well there you go ....4 years after my original post info still comes up!
Fantastic! So where do these things fit into the equation on the malvern star hierarchy of desirableness?